Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Red rash and itching under the foreskin of penis.

 CSMelb - Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:33 am

Dear Doctor,

I am 24 old guy, having problem with my penis. There is a red rash, itching under the foreskin beneath my penis. And the color of my penis has changed to dark red color, paper thin cracks on penis and rarely sometimes I can feel smell from my penis. May I know what the problem may be. I bath twice in a day and clean the penis, under the foreskin as well.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:17 am

User avatar Hi,
Most probably you have what is known as "balano-posthitis". Balanitis refers to inflammation of the glans penis and posthitis refers to inflammation of the prepuce.
this is common in
- Diabetics
- inadequate local hygine
- at times with STD's
It is better for you to consult your GP who, after examining you will be able to decide if you need any referral or not.
Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us