Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Leaking urine I think

thecornflake - Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:39 pm

I have oufnd that I seem to be leaking what smells like urine, during the day. I work in an office and it seems to be worst when at work sitting down. My underwear and even trousers seems to get progressively wetter although I can't detect or feel any actually leaking of fluid form my penis or anywhere else. My testicles and surroudning area gets very damp, sometimes it seems like it's my testicles that are leaking.

I do have social anxiety issues and issues with needing to pee quite frequently especially when drinking a lot of coffee etc which I do at work (I know all this sounds obvious!)

I have issues going in public toilets, and ones at work - I have to use cubicles as I simply can't go if anyone can see me at all, this is probably related to bullying at school (I am now 31). I think there is a bit of a viscious circle where I worry that people will notice I'm going to to the toilet a lot and then not go, and so as I am holding it in it leaks which just makes it worse. I don;t go otu very often becuase of worrying abotu whether there will be toilets and if there will be cubicles available.

I can go all night without needing to go, and usually during the day it's about every hour or so. Trips to the cinema can be tricky though.

I do have a piercing as well, a prince albert with a ring in it, I guess that might contribuet by giving the urine something to run down???

It doesn;t happen so much at home but I'm more relaxed and go when I need to at home.

Would dearly love to find an answer as to what is causing this and if there is any solution.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:00 pm

The more i read your history, the less i tend to think of an organic problem as a diagnosis.
You say "I can go all night without needing to go, and usually during the day it's about every hour or so". In many conditions, the opposite happens.
This suggests that you tend to drink a lot of liquids during the day.
There are a few conditions where a person tends to drink lots of water(inappropriate to fluid needs). These are also known as 'psychogenic polydipsia' or 'potomania' ('beer potomania' is a related entity).This occurs in a number of conditions (more often in middle aged women)...
- obscessive compulsive disorders and
- certain other psychiatric disorders.
I think you should be thoroughly investigated for what looks like an overflow incontinence perhaps due to excessive water intake.But organic causes need to be excluded first.
Good luck
 thecornflake - Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:47 am

Thanks for your reply. I do drink quite a lot during the day, mainly tea and coffee at work altough I didn't think my intake was excessive but maybe it is. I shall try reducing it for a couple of days to see if it has any effect, and try and arrange to see my GP at some point.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:31 pm

Thank you! Try to keep a rough log of how much fluids you are drinking.Meet your doctor and exclude other causes as well.Good luck!