Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Post Circumcision Penis Pain - Please Help!

jkim2712 - Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:23 pm

This is my first post and I was hoping someone on the forum would be able to help me out.

First, I'll go ahead and explain a bit about my history. I was born out of the states and was not circumcised at birth. At the age of 22, I was circumcised for the first time. About two weeks into the circumcision, the sensitivity and pain around and on the head of the penis area did not go away. I kept going back to the surgeon who performed the operation but he didn't seem to have any answer for me. He told me to just keep waiting it out. So I did and waited over a year or two with no luck. The hyper sensitivity and the pain on the head of the penis still remained and didn't get any better. So I had a second circumcision done which I hoped would remove the pain but that also did not help. The same pain that I felt after the first operation hasn't gone away in over 3-4 years.

The head of the penis and the tip of the penis head (I believe it is called the meatus) are the most sensitive. When I say sensitive and painful, I mean any form of direct contact causes a stinging sensation. Pouring running water over my penis is okay but when I put on boxers or any sort of touch is made to the penis head area, it stings quite a bit. The color is also the same redness in some areas of the head that has not gone away either. It looks very irritated.

I've tried everything possible to try and relieve the pain over the years including trying different kinds of creams and visited other doctors. All of them said that they couldn't figure out what it was. One doctor suggested that the nerves in the penis head were overly excited or possibly damaged which was causing the hyper sensitivity but didn't have a solution to how to fix the nerves.

My question is if it anyone knows of any solution to the problem or if there is a cream or option out there that I can do to relieve the pain?

I'm particularly worried because I'll be getting married in less than a year now. I have never had sex before and my future wife to be will be my first. With this painful area though, I'm quite scared of the pain and will be quite sad especially since I have waited to have sex up to this point.

If anyone can help, that'd be great.

Thank you so much in advance.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:27 am

Thank you for your post.I will be very thankful if you could clarify a few things...
- What was the indication for your first circumcision?
- did you have similar pain 'before' the first circumcision?
- How did you come to the conclusion that a re-circumcision will get rid of that pain?
- under what kind of anesthesia these circumcisions were performed?
- before surgery, had you been worried about the possibility of excessive sensitivity of the 'to-be exposed' exposed glans? If yes, for how long?

As i don't have answers to the above questions, let me tell you few things about the nerve supply to the penis.the main nerves are
- the dorsal nerves of the penis and
- the perineal nerves.
Most of the glans is supplied by the dorsal nerves and a small area adjacent to the frenulum is supplied by the perineal nerves.
There are some more nerves which are usually overlooked -they are the autonomic nerves(sympathetic and parasympathetic).

Pain may be arising and conducted via the sensory nerves(mostly) or at times the autonomic nerves.
I will name a few conditions which can cause pain in the glans...
- a neuroma of one of these nerves
- a condition called 'causalgia' which also can follow any trauma (but here the pain is usually 'unprovoked'.
If you share with us some more info about the questions of mine, we may be in a better position to offer a better opinion.Good luck!
 jkim2712 - Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:20 am

Thank you so much for the reply and willingness to help.

Here the answers to your questions that I hope will give you better insight into my situation.

1) I was originally circumcised because I was told that it was both healthier and better for my sex life in the future. Looking back now, I'm not sure if either was true but those were my original intentions.

2) Before the first circumcision, the pain was extremely sensitive because growing up uncircumcised, I never really pulled my foreskin back and because of that, anytime any sort of contact was made to the penis head, it was extremely painful and sensitive. A couple weeks before the first procedure, I was told by my surgeon that it was good to start exposing the head to the outside world to bring about the desensitization process. I tried to do this as much as I could but it definitely was extremely painful each time I did so.

3) I came to the conclusion that a re-circumcision would relieve the pain because there was a special urologist surgeon who gave me a slight possibility/hope that if he performed the operation, there was a chance it might remove the pain. He wasn't giving any sort of guarantee and he basically said it was a risk and a chance. Because I was so desperate and was willing to take even a chance to remove all the pain, I went ahead and did so.

4) I honestly can't remember which anesthesia's I was under when I got the operation done. I believe it was general anesthesia though in both instances.

5) Before the surgery, I never really worried about the possibility of excessive sensitivity of the "to-be exposed" glans because everyone told me that even though the first couple days/weeks are painful after a circumcision, eventually the penis head develops a tissue around it and it gets desensitized to touch and returns to normal.

Aside from this, I've looked in other forums and right now, I'm about to try three different medications at once. Some people said that they might possibly worked as it did work for some others who were experiencing pains in their penis.

1) Cranberry extract pills
2) Prostate wellness pills
3) MSM liquid/lotion

Also, another person in a forum recommended EMLA cream.

Do you suggest I take either of these in combination or no?

Thanks so much again for your help!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:01 am

Thank you so much for providing some details.
Still i fail to understant certain things...
You say "A couple weeks before the first procedure, I was told by my surgeon that it was good to start exposing the head to the outside world to bring about the desensitization process. I tried to do this as much as I could but it definitely was extremely painful each time I did so".
Were you told to keep retracting the prepuce periodically?

Obviously you did not get 'desensitised'.Then why did you take the risk of
undergoing the first circumcision?
Understandably, you may not be remembering the nature of the anesthetic 4 years later.
And why would you undergo a second circumcision??
You say "Aside from this, I've looked in other forums and right now"... it is always good to have different points of view. I only sincerely wish that you had done this prior to your first circumcision.
I have no personal experience(in my practice) with the three different medications you have mentioned.
Sorry i can't help you there!