Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: What is the size of the renal pelvis?

l00d2f - Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:39 pm

What is the size of the renal pelvis? I have a 1.6 cm dense stone per CT on 10/21. "Dense stone within the right collecting system 1.6 cm in the renal pelvis and a 2nd stone 1.1 cm in the mid kindey medially." I have had large stones before, but always in the kidney itself. The largest was 2.5 cm by 4.5 cm. It took 10 hours of surgery over 3 days to remove. Is the one in the renal pelvis different than one inside the kidney?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:26 pm

The size of the renal pelvis is variable, depending on age, anatomical variations. obstructed vs non-obstructed and individual variations.
There are 2 kinds of renal pelvis which are important for a surgeon, especially if open surgery is contemplated.
One is an intra-renal pelvis (the pelvis is almost completely within the kidney)and the other is an extra-renal pelvis (the pelvis is almost completely outside the kidney).
The intra-renal pelvis can make 'open' stone removal (nephrolithotomy/pyelolithotomy) technically demanding and time-consuming.
I hope this information is of use to you!
 l00d2f - Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:51 am

Is there a way from my ct to tell if the large dense stone is intra-renal pelvis or an extra-renal pelvis one? Since the stone is large can it affect the kindey's ability to empty into the bladder? Thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:53 pm

Your radiologist will be certainly be glad to let you have that information.I think it is quite possible to to tell that from the CT. A large stone in the renal pelvis is certainly capable of blocking the flow of urine down the ureter.Best wishes.