Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: What is the size of the renal pelvis?

l00d2f - Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:39 pm

What is the size of the renal pelvis? I have a 1.6 cm dense stone per CT on 10/21. "Dense stone within the right collecting system 1.6 cm in the renal pelvis and a 2nd stone 1.1 cm in the mid kindey medially." I have had large stones before, but always in the kidney itself. The largest was 2.5 cm by 4.5 cm. It took 10 hours of surgery over 3 days to remove. Is the one in the renal pelvis different than one inside the kidney?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:26 pm

User avatar Hi,
The size of the renal pelvis is variable, depending on age, anatomical variations. obstructed vs non-obstructed and individual variations.
There are 2 kinds of renal pelvis which are important for a surgeon, especially if open surgery is contemplated.
One is an intra-renal pelvis (the pelvis is almost completely within the kidney)and the other is an extra-renal pelvis (the pelvis is almost completely outside the kidney).
The intra-renal pelvis can make 'open' stone removal (nephrolithotomy/pyelolithotomy) technically demanding and time-consuming.
I hope this information is of use to you!
 l00d2f - Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:51 am

Is there a way from my ct to tell if the large dense stone is intra-renal pelvis or an extra-renal pelvis one? Since the stone is large can it affect the kindey's ability to empty into the bladder? Thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:53 pm

User avatar Hi,
Your radiologist will be certainly be glad to let you have that information.I think it is quite possible to to tell that from the CT. A large stone in the renal pelvis is certainly capable of blocking the flow of urine down the ureter.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us