Question: not pelvic floor weakness causing leaking

sam46-56 - Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:28 pm

My urology nurse has told me i need to have an operation to insert a mesh to stop my urine leakage. She told me my pelvic floor gripped like a vise and that this isn' t causoing my stress incontinence. If its not my pelvic floor what is it. I didn't think i would need an op and left not fully understanding what i'd been told
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:31 pm

Broadly, one may classify incontinence as urge incontinence and stress incontinence.
I do not really know which of these types you are suffering from.

Stress incontinence itself can be sub-classified from Type-1 to Type-3, based on the status of the pelvic floor, the degree of 'Hypermobility' of the bladder neck and urethra,presence or absence of cystocele and whether the bladder neck and urethra are open or closed.

What the nurse meant was that you probably had a Type-1 stress incontinence
(i am only guessing!).
Cheers!