Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Oh the pain...

 ItsmeL - Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:49 pm

Hey! I'm a 20yr old female. I'm on my last wits with the doctor's office. I'm there so much they say I need a permanent room :/ For the last 6 mos or so I have had my period everyday, with about 2 days vacation every 3 weeks or so. I have had blood work and ultrasounds which both of which show nothing wrong. Since then I've also had UTI's nonstop. At first I was being treated for back spasms beacsue my back pain was so excruciating, but that never helped. I was put on Cipro, then Bactrim twice. Neither of which worked. I am in severe pain of my lower back, flank back pain, I presume. I don;t know what to do anymore. I know I must have a UTI still, obviously. I have the sensation of needing to urinate frequently but never manage to do so. I've been drinking about 2 liters of water a day and about 6 glasses of cranberry juice. None of this is helping. I detected a very SMALL amount of blood in my urine the past few days. My lower abdominal area is in much pain as well, but I can't get over the pain in my back. Its hard to breath and even stand up straight. I take ibuprofin but that does not help either. What can I do? As I said before I'm at the doctor every week practically with another problem...there seems to ALWAYS be something wrong with me...Could these two problems be related in any way?

Thanks so much ,
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:53 am

User avatar Hi ItsmeL,
Have you ever been evaluated for kidney stones? You stated that you have had an ultrasound but this particular test may not identify smaller stones. A test called an intravenous pyelogram (IVP), can identify this condition. This test involves taking a series of xrays after the injection of a contrast dye is injected into the vein. The dye improves the xray images of the kidneys and ureters and is more specific for identifying stones. Symptoms of kidney stones are, increased urinary frequency, tenderness or pain in the abdomen, flank pain (pain in the small of the back), blood in the urine etc. If this test has not been done I would suggest you discuss this with your physician.
 ItsmeL - Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:39 am

I have not been tested for kidney stones, but I will be sure to mention this when I go bcak in to my dr. this week"! Thanks so much

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us