Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Bad Circumcision? Hair on entire shaft...

trod304 - Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:50 pm

I have hair up the entire shaft of my penis. Over 3/4 of the way up. Is there anything I can do or who can I see about this? Do I have options or do I have to live with it forever? I have researched this on the internet and it seems to be known as a Hairy shaft. Almost 90% of my normal shaft skin is gone and skin from the base of my penis is pulled up. So over 3/4 of my shaft has hair. It is very embarrassing and I have to shave it with a razor for sexual intercourse. Please give me some advice on who I should see, who can help if I can be helped at all and what options do I have to have a normal shaft?

Thank you,
T
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:52 pm

please let me have the following details...

- is your penis 'buried' in the pubic area.
- is the shaft covered with hairs (over 3/4 of your shaft) even in the erect position?
or, is it in the flaccid state only?
- was in done by a qualified doctor or by someone else?
- when was it done?
- did you feel that the penis has become smaller following
the procedure?
- had you tried any remedial measures on your own (such as pulling the skin forwards?)
- how long have you been shaving?
- have you had this habit of shaving even before the circumcision?

Kindly do reply so that i can try to answer better.
 trod304 - Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:01 am

-My penis is not buried in the pubic area.
-My penis is convered with hairs even in the erect position.
-This has been a problem since puberty. I was circumsized when I was born.
-I do not have any foreskin to pull back.
-I have been shaving since puberty.
I looked this up online and here is a link to the exact problem I am having.
http://www.covenantcircumcision.info/botched.html
It is under Hairy Shaft.

Thank you for replying, I hope to hear from you soon!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:39 pm

Thank you very much for the update. I do note that certain of my queries are unanswerd.
Let be begin by giving you a short explanation of what is meant by Hypertrichosis (excessive hairs on the body).

This can be...
- generalised or
- localized.
The localized forms may be either
- Congenital Localized Hypertrichosis or
- Acquired Localized Hypertrichosis.

I will list some of the known forms of congenital Localized Hypertrichosis...
- Congenital lumbosacral Hypertrichosis
- Congenital cubital Hypertrichosis
- congenital hairy ear
- congenital anterior cervical Hypertrichosis

Of note however, is that Congenital penile Hypertrichosis hardly finds a mention in the medical literature(to the best of my knowledge).

Localized acquired hypertrichosis is often secondary to irritation or trauma.
Circumscribed hypertrichosis has been noted following repeated friction as on the shoulders of sack bearers or sites of habitual biting in patients with mental retardation.
Also,it has been noted that increased hair growth can occur underneath casts(used for immobilizing fractures)-underlining the importance of friction.

In your case, i am not certain what could be the cause of hairs on the shaft of the penis.A technical fault in the circumcision procedure could presumably cause this....equally so, repeated shaving of the penile shaft. Good luck!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:31 am

User avatar Hello,Dr.Kamath has given in detail about possiblities.Therapy wise laser hair removal would be the best choice.Bestwishes.