Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Foreskin adhering to penis

GeorgeX - Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:43 pm

Uncircumsised, I have had a longstanding problem with rash, inchiness, small blisters etc. on my foreskin and prepuce - especially after sex. I have dealt with it by washing after sex, careful drying, and the use of creams such as Canastan - on my Dr.'s advice.

A year ago this evelved into a shiny reddish sore patch at the line where foreskin is attached to the penis. It leasted a long time.

Where this patch has healed is unusual looking - my doctor thought it might be scarring. It looks to me like the foreskin has adhered to the glans there - on one side - about 2mm of skin. During sex it will pull back a little causing soreness for some time.

I want to ask my doctor to refer me to someone. Should it be a urologist or a dermatologist? What is the likely cause and solution?

Thank you,
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:45 pm

User avatar Hi,
Following repeated episodes of balanitis(inflammation of the glans penis) or posthitis(inflammation of the prepuce) or both (balano-posthitis), prepuce may become firmly adherent to the glans during healing(two healing surfaces in close contact).
If it has become firmly adherent to the glans, then a urologist will be the right person to consult.
In this situation, surgery may be the only sensible option. Surgery may involve separation of the two structures and a skin graft as well.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us