Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Foreskin adhering to penis

GeorgeX - Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:43 pm

Uncircumsised, I have had a longstanding problem with rash, inchiness, small blisters etc. on my foreskin and prepuce - especially after sex. I have dealt with it by washing after sex, careful drying, and the use of creams such as Canastan - on my Dr.'s advice.

A year ago this evelved into a shiny reddish sore patch at the line where foreskin is attached to the penis. It leasted a long time.

Where this patch has healed is unusual looking - my doctor thought it might be scarring. It looks to me like the foreskin has adhered to the glans there - on one side - about 2mm of skin. During sex it will pull back a little causing soreness for some time.

I want to ask my doctor to refer me to someone. Should it be a urologist or a dermatologist? What is the likely cause and solution?

Thank you,
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:45 pm

User avatar Hi,
Following repeated episodes of balanitis(inflammation of the glans penis) or posthitis(inflammation of the prepuce) or both (balano-posthitis), prepuce may become firmly adherent to the glans during healing(two healing surfaces in close contact).
If it has become firmly adherent to the glans, then a urologist will be the right person to consult.
In this situation, surgery may be the only sensible option. Surgery may involve separation of the two structures and a skin graft as well.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us