Medical Specialty >> Urology

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Will this just go away?

SouC - Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:56 am

Early last week I had cystitis - needed to urinate frequently but nothing happening; I get this occasionally, but usually get rid of it with plenty of water and some antacid, and a couple of panadol. Have also gone for cranberry juice more recently, but not sure how effective that is.

Anyway, this time was a bit different in that there was a specific site of pain not just the general burning (a bit as if there was an ulcer or something). Anyway, I had to travel to run a couple of days of workshops, and it continued through those two days - somewhat uncomfortable but managed through it. Then the next day, before returning home, I felt achy all over, which I put down to high heeled shoes!

Friday I drove home (4 hour drive), and the next day found I had a temp going from 39-40 degrees (celsius), got the chills, couldn't do much except sleep, lost all appetite etc. Saturday, still had a temp over 39, but not quite as high as the previous day. Sunday, felt a bit better, temp still fluctuating, but gen between 38 and 39, still weak and sleepy. Monday (today), temp almost normal in the morning, so back to work - drove to the next town and felt very weak and woozy (lack of food?) and figured it was too soon to get behind the wheel again. Struggled a bit through the day. Later my temp jumped again to 39. Slept for 3 hours in the late afternoon. (ATM my temp is back down again to 37.3)

Long story - but the question is, do I need to see a doctor or will this go away by itself? How do I know if I need medical help?

As an aside, my urine is cloudy, and horribly smelly quite often, but a previous doc said nothing was wrong with it when it was like that - but that was a few years ago. My lower back is tender and achy.

Appreciate any advice.
 Kathy C, RN - Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:19 pm

HI Souc, It sound like you have the symptoms of a urinary tract infection. Your fever and aches\pains may or may not be related but I would stongly suggest you go to a physician as soon as possible. In the mean time drink lots of fluids and try to avoid caffiene and carbonated drinks, pantyhose remember to wipe from back to front. If your fever and aches and pains are from a UIT it sounds like a severe one.
Hope this helps.
 SouC - Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:57 am

Thanks, Angelseakr, I followed your advice and the doctor made a prelim diagnosis of upper UTI. He jabbed me with 160mg of Gentamycin and prescribed Augmentin Duo Forte twice a day (for five days unless side effects emerge). I also left a urine sample for overnight analysis.

He's hopeful that the gentamycin will act quickly and I could be okay in 24 to 48 hours - I hope so too. My temp went up again this afternoon to nearly 39 degrees, so hopefully that will drop as it seems to affect my ability to think and function :)

Hopefully this little episode will help someone else - moral, probably better to act sooner not later.