Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Would 10% lidocaine U.S.P be safe to use on my penis?

thorntor - Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:14 pm

Recently i bought some spray, called SuperDragon 6000, which can be found here
http://readylivemedia.com/classifieds/classified-125/Super-Dragon-6000-Spray-12ml.html i've searched on google about the lidocaine part but can only find stuff like the 5% Topical patches, Would 10% be too much or okay to use?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:27 am

User avatar Hi,
Lidocaine 3.5% and 5% have been studied (and being studied) for their efficacy in neuropathic pains and for post operative analgesia.

As the % increases, potential for local and systemic toxicity increases proportionately.
So far,there has not been widespread inclination or need to put 10% lidocaine through trials. 5% lidocaine appears to be satisfactory enough for most purposes.

If one is trying to use topical lidocaine for delaying ejaculation i would strongly advise against it and would like to warn that even potential for mortality from respiratory arrest exists as the % is hiked up.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us