Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: non decending testical

shanilee - Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:28 pm

DR
My son went for his physical today. he is 10, they told me that he only had one palpable testicle and that he needed to see a urologist. Looking on the internet has scared me. Can you tell me how serious this could be. It seems from the articles that this should have been diagnosed and treated way sooner. I am a worried mom, can you please tell me what to expect.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:36 am

User avatar Hi,
Nowadays, testicular maldescent is generally spotted soon after birth than in the decades gone by.

Still, late presentations continue to be seen.The rates for late presentations vary from country to country but even in the developed world,this is still a reality.

There is a debate whether these late presentations are truely 'missed' cases or a relatively recently talked about entity named 'late ascent' of a descended testicle.

Most surgeons recommend surgery(orchidopexy) for an undescended testicle within 18 months after birth because the spermatogenesis steadily declines in these testes. Also there is an increased risk of malignancy(which is thought to remain even after successful surgery).

For your son,an exploration for the testis and orchidopexy (if feasible) would be in order at the earliest.
Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us