Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: UTI Not going away with different antibiotics

snowbunny87 - Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:53 am

I'm a 22yr old female. I'm not sexually active and am healthy (I have migraines and depression. I take Welbutrin XL at 150mg a day and maxalt as needed for migraines).

In late September I had my first Bladder Infection/UTI ever and it was horrible. I ended up in the ER and they did a CAT Scan to make sure I didn't have a kidney stone. It came back normal. They gave me Cipro and it went away.

On October 23, I started to get burning during urination, frequency, and back pain so I went to my doctor and she said I had a bladder infection. The test came back for group b staph. She gave me cipro. it didn't do anything on a 7 day dose. I went back and they tested me for a yeast infection which came back negative, but it tested positive for bacterial vaginosis so they gave me an antibiotic for that, and switched me to amoxicillian (500mg 3X a day for ten days - I'm on day 7). I'm still experiencing symptoms: burning during urination, frequency, back pain and I've been taking it for a week.

I've never, ever had a uti/bladder infection before and now it won't go away. i'm freaking out. any info/advice would be greatly appreciated!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:56 am

I wonder whether you are confusing Staphylococci and streptococci. Streptococci have been classified by Lancefield into groups A and B etc based on the carbohydrates on their surface.

If you are referring to staphylococci,it was probably due to Staphylococcus saprophyticus infection.

Staphylococcus Saprophyticus has been classified into two groups depending on their property of adherence to the urothelium. Those whose adherence is weak (Group B) and those whose adherence is strong positive (Group A).Those whose adherence is strong(akin to E.Coli), are perhaps more pathogenic.

Staphylococcus saprophyticus is a common cause of urinary tract infections (UTIs) in young and middle-aged women(next only to E.Coli).Staphylococcus saprophyticus is a coagulase-negative staphylococcus associated primarily with community-acquired lower urinary tract infection (UTI) in this group.

Compared with other uropathogens, S. saprophyticus differs from E.Coli infections in that there is marked seasonal variation and geographic distribution. UTI has been documented mostly in women residing in the northern hemisphere, where the prevalence of colonization and infection is more frequent during late summer and autumn.

Infection with Staphylococcus saprophyticus can cause upper urinary tract disease, and the infection is more likely to be 'persistent or recurrent'.

Generally, as some studies have shown,the strongest risk factor for recurrence of cystitis was the frequency of sexual intercourse. Other risk factors included new sex partner during the past year,spermicide use in the past year, having a first UTI at or before 15 years of age, and having a mother with history of UTI.

Vaginal spermicides, have been suspected to increases the risk of UTI's.Sexual activity and spermicide exposure are important risk factors for UTI caused by both S saprophyticus and E coli.

Some studies have shown that in young women exposed to spermicide-coated condoms, about 74% of UTIs were caused by S. saprophyticus.

You say that you are not sexually active.However, infections due to S saprophyticus presumably, can still occur.Best wishes!