Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Is it OK to ejaculate with a swollen testicle?

tommyc7 - Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:31 am

I had laparoscopic surgery last week to repair an inguinal hernia. My testicle is still swollen and pain comes and goes. The pain has never been severe enough to use the percosets, but I have taken Tylenol for it. I have not ejaculated since the surgery. My surgeon has not mentioned when sexual activity may resume (and my follow-up is still a few days off).

My question is simply,is it "safe" for me for me to ejaculate with my testicle still swollen with occasional pain (or is it in my best interest to continue to wait)?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:20 am

User avatar Hi,
Certain amount of swelling of the testicle is usual after a hernia repair especially if the hernia was large or in cases of recurrent hernias.

This is proportional to the extent of dissection involved(depends on the individual case).

This usually resolves over a few weeks following surgery.

About the resumption of sexual activity, views of individual surgeons may vary.

It may not be ethical for me to advise regarding that. Your surgeon is the best person to advise you because, he will be no doubt in a better situation to know the details of the surgical procedure performed on you. I hope you will understand. Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us