Question: 2 weeks Post-Cathater Blood Clots in Urine

BackPain - Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:45 pm

I had to have a cathater 2 weeks ago due to inability to urinate due to severe back pain from herniated disk. When urinating today, a long blood clot with some mucus was in my urine, followed by burning and continued leakage of a small amount of blood for the next 15 minutes. More "fresh blood"during next urination. Is this just from the cathater or should I be concerned about infection?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:12 am

It would have been helpful if you had mentioned for how long the catheter had been in place.
The bleeding may or may not be related to the catheterization.I have no idea as to whether there had been any difficulty while catheterizing(bladder neck stenosis,BPH, strictures etc).

This should be expected to resolve soon.

In any case, if the bleeding should persist, you should consult your doctor who,in all probability would request a urine culture to exclude UTI. Best wishes!