Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Genital odor....

studentathlete - Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:07 pm

Quick Question. I was unsure where to ask this, but its something I really would like to fix if possible.

I'm a very active athlete, and each time I sweat, I get a nasty odor smell in my groin/crotch area. I don't know what exactly it is and I'm not sexually active. So I am unsure as to what can cause the odor.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:16 am

User avatar Hi studentathlete,
Fungal infections (jock itch) may cause a nasty odor as well as other symptoms. There are usually symptoms of itching, redness etc. that accompany as well. If this is the case, you may want to try some over the counter treatments to correct this problem.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 xyzmale - Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:51 pm

I am 22, male. I have noticed that i have this smell in my gorin area everynight. this gets worse in summer. Is it normal for men to have a slight genital smell? what can i do to get rid of this prolem?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:38 am

User avatar Hi xyzmale,
A slight genital odor is relatively normal. Good hygiene will reduce the odor and you may also want to try changing the type of undershorts you are using.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 xyzmale - Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:04 pm

i wear boxer briefs. what do you recommend?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:00 am

User avatar Hi xyzmale,
If you are wearing the cotton blend of boxer briefs try the other material blend. Sometimes cotton increases heat, therefore increases body odor.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us