Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Decongestant for those with BPH?

edgor - Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:58 am

My general doctor said I have early signs of BPH and that I should avoid decongestants. I'm thinking ahead to how miserable this will make things when I next have a cold. Is there something that I can use for a runny nose or a stuffy nose that will not cause issues with my prostate? A local pharmacist said to use Afrin, but I read elsewhere that you need to be careful even with Afrin if you have BPH. I do not have any ongoing allergy problems, I'm just looking for something to use when I have a cold, especially so that I don't wake up with a bad sore throat due to drainage. I thought a urologist would have more knowledge about acceptable meds than a general doctor or pharmacist. I've never seen this question answered on the web anywhere. I have seen that there are homeopathic products like Coldcalm, but am not sure if those are good either.

Thanks.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:46 am

User avatar Hi,
No nasal decongestant appears to be entirely safe from this point of view.They also have a well known potential for abuse.Serious adverse effects can also occur.

The safest nasal decongestant is 'isotonic saline(0.9%) nasal drops. Safe for adults and children as well.

Only your regular doctor would be in an ideal situation to prescribe other drugs based on your clinical presentation.
Best wishes!
 edgor - Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:18 pm

Thanks for the info. Do you have a specific name that you could recommend? The only saline drops I can find at local stores list .65% sodium chloride. I cannot find any that say "Isotonic saline .9%" on the package.

http://www.blairex.com/BLSimplySalineReg.php

The Simply Saline mist linked above has .9% but I'm not sure if it's isotonic. Simply Saline also make a homeopathic cold formula that has these ingredients. Active: Luffa Operculata HPUS 6X, Sabadilla HPUS 6x; Inactive Ingredients: Benzalkonium Chloride, Glycerin, Menthol, Phenylcarbinol, Purified Water, Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Chloride.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us