Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Urethral stricture

gsin - Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:45 am

I am 26 year old unmarried male. Recently I've been diagnosed with urethral stricture as I was infected with UTI and doctor suggested me to undergo tests like uroflowmetery and then RGU/MCU, in which mild elongated stricture was found in anterior urethra(in Meatus part), its around 1.5 inches long. I was dialated after this diagnose and after 1.5 months I am still going good. But my doctor said that stricture can reoccur at any time and I'll have to again go for dilatation or other treatment at that time. Now I am getting married in few months and this disease is upsetting me a lot. I don't know if I should tell this to my fiancee or not, don't know what will be her reaction, most probably it will be canceling of marriage. I actually want to know as what all issues and complications this disease can cause in married life ? Will it affect my partner life also ? I don't want to ruin her life and if I find that my problem is going to affect her life also then I am definitely going to tell her about my disease. I am in a fix now as what should I do and what not. I am even thinking of not marrying at all as why should someone else suffer because of me. This whole marriage thing is also causing psychological disturbance in me. Please guide me as what should I do with my disease ?

Is there any permanent treatment available which is not involved with later complications ? I am more concern about my disease affecting my married/future life.

thanks,
Gautam
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:53 am

Strictures of the urethra frequently occur following gonococcal urethritis.Not all UTIs have the potential to produce strictures in their aftermath.Urethral trauma[blunt, sharp & urethral instrumentation(surgical or otherwise)] are also capable of causing strictures.Have STDs been excluded?.If STDs have been excluded or fully treated, then it should not adversely affect your partner.

You seem to have a stricture involving the anterior urethra.Does it involve the external urethral meatus as well?

I do not know the cause of your stricture.
There used to be a popular saying....
" once a stricture, always a stricture."
This was perhaps true when urethral dilatations were the only available option.This is not to say that every stricture in modern times would recur.It only stresses the fact that strictures of urethra can be very fastidious.

I see no reason for being frank with your fiancée about this.
Regular assessment by a urologist would help in preventing back-pressure changes.It should not interfere with your sexual/reproductive life as long as it is not allowed to worsen.

gsin - Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:55 am

Thanks Doctor for you reply. The exact cause of stricture is still unknown. Some 2.5 years back, I passed some blood during urination and there was burning/itching sensation in urinary track at that time. Doctor suggested ultrasound of bladder and kidney and X-ray of lower abdomen. Ultrasound and X-ray were all clear. There was Microscopic pyuria detected in urine test at that time. Doctor prescribed me Pyridium and Amoxicillin for 7 days and I was fine after that.

But recently I was diagnosed with UTI caused by E.Coli, Further tests diagnosed that I've urethral stricture. Now doctor is assuming that I probably passed stone during last time. So he said that stricture was formed due to passing of stone 2.5 years back. The scarring left by stone has now formed into stricture(this was told by my doctor). The stricture affects the meatus part only, doctor didn't told me whether it was external urethral meatus or internal, but he did mentioned that its 1.5 inches long.

STD or any other kind of sexually transmitted infection is out of question as I am not yet involved into any sexual activity. What is back-pressure changes ?

Is there any permanent treatment available which is not involved with later complications and recurrence ?

Is there any side effects of dilatation ? I hope its not going to worse the situation as mine is a mild stricture as diagnosed in RGU/MCU test.

Dr. Kamath: "If STDs have been excluded or fully treated, then it should not adversely affect your partner."
If not adversely, then what and how its going to affect my partner ? What should we do(precautions ? or ?) so that it does not affect her in any way ?

thanks,
Gautam