Question: Embolization surgery in Varicocele

MikeRus - Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:40 am

HI there i am about to underdo embolization surgery for treatment of my newly diagnosed varicocele of left testicle. Based on US scan, venous dilation in pampiniform plexus is dilated till 3mm.. I would like to know after embolization, is it still possible for me to do heavy work,e.g heavy weight lifting or joining the army?I would be grateful for the replies. thx
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:41 am

You have not mentioned if the varicocele is unilateral or bilateral. After 'successful' embolization, i am not aware of any reason why one cannot indulge in strainful activity.
Recurrences are possible (a 5-10% chance that a varicocele could recur after embolization).Whether these recurrences are related to strenuous activity is not known.One need to remember that recurrences are possible after 'open' surgery as well.

Generally,for army recruitment (in the USA), a 'painful' left varicocele or any right varicocele is a medical disqualification.

This may vary from country to country.This may not amount to a permanent disqualification.Following succcessful embolization or surgery, a person may be eligible for recruitment(again may vary from country to country).
Best of luck!