Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Penis numb for a week after using c-ring

Douger1 - Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:23 pm

A week ago I tied an elastic band around my penis and scrotum for about 3 hours like I've done hundreds of times in the past. Perhaps it was a little tighter than usual. I didn't try to get an erection nor did I. Ever since then, my penis has been numb with mild pain and pressure. There was never any discoloration. It is not cold either. I can achieve an erection through mental stimulation but have been unsuccessful at achieving ejaculation due to the lack of sensation. I'm too embarrased to pursue medical attention. What I would mainly like to know is what the most likely diagnosis is and if it is likely to heal on its own.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:45 am

User avatar Hi,
Looks like the tight band had caused a tempory lack of blood supply to the nerves to the penis via the 'vasa nervora', arteries which accompany the nerves and supply them.This could have produced a 'neurapraxia'.This is usually self-limiting and should recover fully in course of time.

I have no idea how tight the elastic band was. Higher degree of tightness could cause what is known as 'axonotmesis' (where the axon cylinders are broken within their myelin sheaths); This is more serious than 'neurapraxia' and will take longer to recover.

I do not think the blood supply could have been affected, as severe pain would have almost certainly forced you to release the band.

It will be better to consult a doctor urgently and if it proves to be a neurapraxia,you can quit worrying. At worst, it could be 'axonotmesis', in which case, you may have to wait a little longer for recovery, extent of which may be somewhat unpredictable.
'Rest' to the part is strongly recommended.
Best of luck!
 Douger1 - Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:26 pm

Dr. Kamath:
Thank you so much for your insight. It is very magnanimous of you to lend a hand in such a way. Your thoughts mimic what my intuitive hunch was, make perfect sense and are proving to be right on the mark. Thanks Again,

Warm Regards, JT
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:34 am

User avatar Hi,
Thank you so much for your update and your appreciation.I am humbled. Regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us