Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: UTI physical condition, benefits of surgery?

ToraiSona - Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:53 am

I have been averaging about 4 UTI's a year (one of which developed into a kidney infection in 2007) since I turned 15, I am now 22. I had problems with them as a child as well according to my mother but I have no memory of this. Despite my best efforts at maintaining hygiene, following all of the instructions, urinating whenever I feel the slightest need to, no tight fitting clothing, front-to-back, urinating after intercourse, drinking plenty of water, etc etc etc, I always inevitably get another one. Each UTI I get develops faster and becomes more painful than the last in a shorter amount of time. My last UTI developed in less than 6 hours, involved a LOT of blood in the urine and was extremely painful. I've started to get quite concerned about the scarring that my bladder is no doubt enduring, and the potential cancer risk from the build up of scar tissue there.

At one point in time I had xrays taken, and was told that I had a "physical condition" which made me prone to UTI's. I was about 16 at the time and the laymen description I got was that I had an extra "pocket" in my urinary tract before my bladder which made it easier for bacteria to get a foothold. I was told that surgical correction was possible, but it was highly advised against at that point as they did not believe it would be "worth it" so to say.
Each UTI I've gotten since then has made the option of surgery more appealing, especially the kidney infection, and this past UTI. I was curious if you were familiar with this particular physical condition, and what your opinion would be on the surgery option. Cipro has (thankfully) never failed to clear up my UTI's as of yet, but it really seems to be playing with fire so to say.

Any input you have on this matter would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:24 am

User avatar Hi,
Your description strongly suggests the presence of what is known as a ureterocele.
It is a saccular(sac-like) out-pouching of the ureter where it joins the urinary bladder.There are different types of this entity. Pediatric and adult types are known.

The pediatric ones usually cause symptoms such as;
- recurrent UTIs and
- hematuria.
Back-pressure changes resulting in hydronephrosis may also occur.
I suggest that you must consult a urologist soon and get yourself investigated.If ureterocele is indeed the problem, then surgery is the likely option.

This will prevent the recurring UTIs and the
possible effects on renal function in the long run.

Best wishes!
 ToraiSona - Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:02 am

I'm sorry for the late response, but I just wanted to say thank you! I'm now discussing this option with my Doctor.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:12 am

User avatar Hi,
Please let us know what turns up.Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us