Question: TURP Recovery

Radar - Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:52 pm

I had a Lisa Laser Turp about 30 days ago. I have not had the ability to urinate since. I am currently self-catheterizing three to four times per day to make up for the insufficiency of urinating on my own.

I am concerned as the condition is not getting better after 30 days of difficult recovery. I constantly feel urgency, have bladder contractions with pain at the tip of my penis, but very little urine flows. During my last emergency room visit about a week ago for a catheter my urine was analyzed, and there was no infection.

My urologist says this situation is unusual, but will clear up with time. I am beginning to question his opinion and would like other input.

Thanks........
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:19 pm

It is indeed unusual for this kind of problem to persist this long.It is likely that you had some degree of chronic retention with overflow prior to the TURP, which has for some reason worsened.

Intermittent self catheterisation is perhaps the ideal management under the circumstances and one should hope that this will recover in course of time.

How much it may or may not recover is not easy to predict at this point.

If there is no tendency towards recovery, then one may need to investigate further using certain urodynamic measurements.
 Radar - Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I have been self catheterizing for about a week now - the pattern is about every 6 hours which yields about 300 to 350ml of urine. Sometimes I can produce 50 to 150ml on my own before catheterizing. Over the week there has been very little change.

Does this sound like a good approach to you ? - and - Is there any treatment for this condition.

Thanks......
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:45 am

As i had indicated earlier, it is very difficult to guess how long it may take to recover. Much depends on whether you had a chronic retention with overflow prior to the surgery.
Wishing you a speedy recovery...