Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Base around top of penis looks swollen and is painful

 Deftera - Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Approx. a week ago I got symptoms similar to a UTI. Burned when I pee and the urethra was tender and a little sore.

I saw my doctor who did a urine analysis that came out "inconclusive". Since my only symptoms were burning sensation when I urinate and sore urethra he prescribed me some cipro and sent me on my way, that was yesterday.

Last night while I was taking a shower I notice that when the water hit the top of my penis it kinda hurt, so I looked and notice a semi-circle ring along the top part of the penis head.

It looks like it's swollen/puffy and it's tender to the touch and even when it's not being touched there is a consistent dull pain in that area of the penis.

I do admit, throughout the week, even with the UTI symptoms I was masturbating once or twice a day and yesterday I had sex with a partner and they were kinda rough with my penis and yesterday is when the pain around the base began to hurt.

I called my doctor but he's out for the next 2 days, so figured I would try and get a second opinion in the meantime.

Any thoughts?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:39 am

User avatar Hi,
Local trauma is perhaps the most obvious possibility.

As a first step,you need to choose between 'getting better'(from the UTI) and 'feeling better'(from sexual activity).

Having done that, you should consult a specialist(urology), who would in all probability, request a culture of your urine to see if indeed you have a UTI and treat it. STD's would need to be excluded as well.

Continued sexual activity at this stage may be counter-productive.

Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us