Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Jelly and pain with semen in ejaculations

bubdud05 - Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:10 pm

I am 36 male, been divorced for two years, sex only twice in that time. I have jelly like substance in my semen and it hurts when coming out in ejaculating it. I have had prostatitis before diagnosed and treated. I also have had about 4 years ago an ejeaculation that was almost straight blood that really hurt. I know that it is most likely sperm that is concentrated but why is it hurting and how do i make it not be concentrated, what do i need to drink or eat to do it. I have always had lower back pain the past few years also, which some relate to prostatitis. I am wanting to know an opinion on this. I am tired of it hurting when i ejaculate, it shouldnt be like that.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:16 pm

User avatar Hi,
Normal seminal fluid is an admixture of spermatozoa suspended in secretions from the testis and epididymis which get mixed at ejaculation with secretions from the prostate, seminal vesicles, and bulbourethral glands. The final composition comprises the ejaculate(semen).So, the final consistency of the semen will depend on the relative proportions of its constituents.

In humans,the fluid from the seminal vesicles is viscous and yellowish(70% of total volume). The fluid from the prostate is a whitish (sometimes clear), thin fluid. Bulbourethral glands generally secrete a clear secretion.

Human semen normally 'gels' following ejaculation.It also may contain cell debris, gel-like 'particles' or 'mucus streaks'.These are quite normal.

Your semen perhaps contains quite a bit of these gel-like 'particles'.This may be related to the prostatitis. The normal urethra is quite compliant(ie, the ability to distend).Therefore even if the semen is very thick, it should not caus pain or difficulty while exiting through the urethra.If you are feeling pain in the process, there is a liklihood that there is some narrowing of the urethra which needs to be investigated.

Finding of blood in semen is always unusual and should be fully investigated.As for changing the consistency of the semen, (to the best of my knowledge), i know of no way of doing that!.
Good day!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us