Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Abnormal monthly cycle with excess bleeding

 cemcghee - Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:11 pm

I am 33 yrs and have always been regular on my cycles, they usually last 3 to 4 days no longer. this period that I am having now has lasted 8 days very heavy bleeding, with clotts, I've been dizzy...and I was 2 weeks late starting, which I am never late either.....I would like to know if I need to see someone.

Thank you for your help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:32 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is very normal for women to occasionally have abnormal cycles, including missed periods, heavy bleeding and clotting. If it continues over several months you should see a doctor because ongoing heavy bleeding could signal some hormonal problem and could lead to anemia, but when they just occur once or twice, there is no urgent concern.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us