Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Abnormal monthly cycle with excess bleeding

cemcghee - Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:11 pm

I am 33 yrs and have always been regular on my cycles, they usually last 3 to 4 days no longer. this period that I am having now has lasted 8 days very heavy bleeding, with clotts, I've been dizzy...and I was 2 weeks late starting, which I am never late either.....I would like to know if I need to see someone.

Thank you for your help.
Courtney
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:32 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is very normal for women to occasionally have abnormal cycles, including missed periods, heavy bleeding and clotting. If it continues over several months you should see a doctor because ongoing heavy bleeding could signal some hormonal problem and could lead to anemia, but when they just occur once or twice, there is no urgent concern.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us