Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: horseshoe kidney stones inside and outside the kidney

icklehayz - Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:22 pm

i just went to see my specialist today and found out ive got 2 stones growing outside my kidney on the right side and 5 growing inside and 1 on the left side, oh my god how many more stones and how did they start growing outside my kidney? what operation will they have to do to remove the stones outside my kidney?
this is just getting worse and worse i wish i could find a doctor or kidney specialist who can actually help me, both hospitals i've been treated at so far have just messed me up even more.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:32 am

I wonder if you misundersood what your doctor had said. Perhaps what you doctor meant was that there are stones in an 'Extra-renal' pelvis.

The anatomical position of the renal pelvis can be highly variable.
- intra-renal or
- extra-renal or a combination thereof (ex; wholly intrarenal, mostly intra-renal, mostly extra-renal etc).

It is likely that your doctor meant that you have stones in intra-renal as well as extra-renal parts of the renal pelvis.

In the management of the renal stones, the position of the renal pelvis has a significant bearing on the approach/technique.

Percuteneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL) has been shown to be the ideal method for stone clearance in horseshoe kidneys. However, it can pose unique problems, particularly if there are large stag horn calculi (especially the staghorn types of stones that may be partly intra-renal and partly extra-renal).