Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Swollen Meatus

WestTXBill - Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:59 am

Hello and thank you for this service!

I'm a 29 year old white male. I recently noticed a small bump or swollen area on the left side of my urethra. The area that I'm referring to I believe is called the meatus. The size and color of the abnormality changes frequently. Yesterday afternoon it was a dark purple-red almost like a bruise, and this morning it is almost completely flesh colored with a slight hint of purple. The degree of swelling (or the size of the bump/lesion) also varies greatly but never gets any bigger than about 3mm and never completely goes away. It almost looks like I have a lip on one side of my urethra when in it's natural position.

I don't know if I'm imagining pain or not but I can feel it in my pants when I move; however, if I touch it directly it does not hurt. The pain comes and goes and it's just a slight stinging sensation. I recently had a pretty high risk sexual encounter and I am extremely stressed about it so I'm sure some of my symptoms are self-induced. I am including pictures with this post to assist in your diagnosis.
Thank you again for your time!
http://yfrog.com/0simg00082200911291947j
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:16 am

User avatar Hi,

Thanks for your post and the photos. I think one should first think of this lesion being a "bowenoid papulosis" (BP).
Bowenoid papulosis can be genital or extra-genital.
Genital bowenoid papulosis occurs in both sexes in sexually active people.

Bowenoid papulosis usually manifests as 'papules' that are induced by human papillomavirus (HPV), particularly sub-type HPV 16 and have a distinctive histopathology (bowenoid dysplasia). Most papules may appear pink,reddish or flesh coloured. It can also have the appearence of a wart or a plaque-like lesion.A biopsy is usually diagnostic.

Most of these are benign, but malignant transformation is reported in <3% of cases.

Other possibilities are
- a genital wart
- rare tumors of urethra.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us