Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Swollen Meatus

WestTXBill - Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:59 am

Hello and thank you for this service!

I'm a 29 year old white male. I recently noticed a small bump or swollen area on the left side of my urethra. The area that I'm referring to I believe is called the meatus. The size and color of the abnormality changes frequently. Yesterday afternoon it was a dark purple-red almost like a bruise, and this morning it is almost completely flesh colored with a slight hint of purple. The degree of swelling (or the size of the bump/lesion) also varies greatly but never gets any bigger than about 3mm and never completely goes away. It almost looks like I have a lip on one side of my urethra when in it's natural position.

I don't know if I'm imagining pain or not but I can feel it in my pants when I move; however, if I touch it directly it does not hurt. The pain comes and goes and it's just a slight stinging sensation. I recently had a pretty high risk sexual encounter and I am extremely stressed about it so I'm sure some of my symptoms are self-induced. I am including pictures with this post to assist in your diagnosis.
Thank you again for your time!
Image
Image
http://yfrog.com/0simg00082200911291947j
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:16 am

Thanks for your post and the photos. I think one should first think of this lesion being a "bowenoid papulosis" (BP).
Bowenoid papulosis can be genital or extra-genital.
Genital bowenoid papulosis occurs in both sexes in sexually active people.

Bowenoid papulosis usually manifests as 'papules' that are induced by human papillomavirus (HPV), particularly sub-type HPV 16 and have a distinctive histopathology (bowenoid dysplasia). Most papules may appear pink,reddish or flesh coloured. It can also have the appearence of a wart or a plaque-like lesion.A biopsy is usually diagnostic.

Most of these are benign, but malignant transformation is reported in <3% of cases.

Other possibilities are
- a genital wart
- rare tumors of urethra.