Question: Hard zone between testicles and anus

some_knight - Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:59 am

Hi.
Yesterday, while going to the bathroom I noticed that the zone between the anus and the testicles (closed to the anus) is "hardish" to the touch. I believe that the zone I'm mentioning is right after the "disappearing point" of the penis (because that zone gets harder while having an erection) and before reaching the anus.
Touching the mentioned zone doesn't hurt, although it feels sore after touching it more vigorously.
Also, there aren't any visible lumps or swelling and I have no pain while using the bathroom.
Is this normal physiology or something else?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:47 am

You say "(because that zone gets harder while having an erection)", it appears that it is closely related to the urethra.

One of the diagnoses to be considered first is a chronic peri-urethral abscess secondary to a urethral stricture.

An acute peri-urethral abscess is usually very painful, but, a chronic abscess (following antibiotic therapy) may become hard and remain so.

It is also possible that a stricture itself may be quite thick and be palpable.

Other rarer differential diagnosis would include
- a Cowper's duct cyst: Cowper's glands, also known as bulbourethral glands, are about pea sized and are located beneath the prostate gland.Cysts can arise from these glands and may be felt in the general area you have described.