Medical Specialty >> Urology

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Recurring UTIs w/ cloudy urine, pain, fever

utisworryme - Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:16 pm

I am a 16-year-old female. A while ago, I started getting cloudy urine. It stayed that way for about two weeks. Then, I started getting pain in my left side, under my ribs, and I got a fever. I went to the doctor, and my urinalysis did indicate that I had a UTI. I was given medication, it cleared up within a few days, and then I was fine for several weeks, maybe a month. Now, the cloudy urine has come back. This time, the pain is in my right side, and I woke up this morning with a fever. I have been taking 100mg of Doxycycline daily for the last two days. Why are these UTIs recurring, and should I be concerned that the pain is now on the right side (kidney infection, possibly?)?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:40 am

From your description,it is possible that you have been experiencing episodes of upper urinary tract symptoms + systemic symptoms (possibly due to pyelonephritis).

Pyelonephritis is usually caused by uropathogenic E coli (UPEC), also known as extraintestinal pathogenic E coli (ExPEC).

Structural abnormalities, functional abnormalities or metabolic abnormalities of the urinary tract, recent antibiotic usage,unusual pathogens & recent urinary tract instrumentations, not only predispose to pyelonephritis but also contribute to recurrences.

In your case, first your urine needs to be cultured to confirm if you indeed have a UTI and if so, you have to be ideally investigated in detail to identify any abnormality that may be responsible for recurrences.