Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Recurring UTIs w/ cloudy urine, pain, fever

utisworryme - Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:16 pm

I am a 16-year-old female. A while ago, I started getting cloudy urine. It stayed that way for about two weeks. Then, I started getting pain in my left side, under my ribs, and I got a fever. I went to the doctor, and my urinalysis did indicate that I had a UTI. I was given medication, it cleared up within a few days, and then I was fine for several weeks, maybe a month. Now, the cloudy urine has come back. This time, the pain is in my right side, and I woke up this morning with a fever. I have been taking 100mg of Doxycycline daily for the last two days. Why are these UTIs recurring, and should I be concerned that the pain is now on the right side (kidney infection, possibly?)?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:40 am

User avatar Hi,
From your description,it is possible that you have been experiencing episodes of upper urinary tract symptoms + systemic symptoms (possibly due to pyelonephritis).

Pyelonephritis is usually caused by uropathogenic E coli (UPEC), also known as extraintestinal pathogenic E coli (ExPEC).

Structural abnormalities, functional abnormalities or metabolic abnormalities of the urinary tract, recent antibiotic usage,unusual pathogens & recent urinary tract instrumentations, not only predispose to pyelonephritis but also contribute to recurrences.

In your case, first your urine needs to be cultured to confirm if you indeed have a UTI and if so, you have to be ideally investigated in detail to identify any abnormality that may be responsible for recurrences.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us