Question: Incontinence/Frequency after lavh/bso

Taylynn - Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:14 am

Since my surgery I have had frequent trips to the bathroom 25-35 times a day along with complete loss of control at times. gushing out, several times a day. Could this be a fistula? Any other suggestions? My dr.s are dragging their feet on this and it is getting very upsetting :( Please help
 Dr. Russell M - Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:53 pm

User avatar What surgery did u undergo?
 Taylynn - Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:06 pm

lavh/bso Complete hysterectomy with removal of the overies. I also forgot to mention that I do not have a uti, as I was on numerous antibiotics for a vaginal cuff infection right after the surgery
 all4one - Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:30 pm

I'm not a doctor...but I go to the one of the best in the country. He is the chairman of the American Pelvic Pain Society and their site is on the net - so in a little bit, I'm going to tell you how to check them out.
But for now - I'm going to tell you what he told me. You see I have something called Interstitial Cystitis. It tends to irritate your bladder a bit and make you go more than most people. I didn't fit the general picture for this diagnosis, so I didn't think I had it. But he ran through a questionaire with me and I did fit some of the questions and based on my pelvic pain before my hysterectomy - it was worth a check to see....Turns out I did have IC. He said that Hysterectomies can really flare up IC in a person who has it...so its better to know beforehand if you do...but the sooner the better. Ask your doctor about a test they can run to see if you have this. If you do - High Acid foods and carbonated beverages are a big No-no!! They will really set you off!!
Here are some links for you.
( The American Pelvic Pain Society )
( Interstitial Cystitis Association )
 Taylynn - Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:08 pm

Thanks for the tip about IC. I was tested for it during "my search" for an answer to my problems.
I was finally dx'ed with Pudendal nerve entrapment in Feb of 04. http://www.pudendal.info
It's hard to believe that having a hysterectomy in this day and age can cause so many life changing problems.
The sad part of having PN/PNE is so few doctors in the U.S. are even aware of the symptoms of it. (Pain while sitting, burning, urinary problems, constipation, etc.)
There are many women who have thought that they had IC, and later found out it was PN/PNE!
Mine was caused from my hysterectomy, but others, men and women alike, have gotten it from childbirth, weight lifting, riding a bike, falls, lifting, etc...
It is a horrible condition to have. Surgery is an option, but the healing time is measured in years, not weeks or months.
The pain is unbearable at times.
Anyway, thanks again for the tip.
Tay