Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: "Ghost" Spleen/Kidney Injury

mazee1 - Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:09 am

Janurary 26th 2009 I was in a car accident that resulted in internal bleeding from my Spleen and Kidneys. It may've been from other sources as well, but the doctors didn't specify anything further. I had blood detected in my Urine a few days after the initial car accident because the first doctor wasn't thorough enough. They said that it was amazing that my spleen hadn't ruptured, but that it was severely bruised along with my kidneys according to the MRI that was performed. I had only one external bruise, and that was on my hip bone, no where near the internal sources of bleeding. The final verdict from the hospital visit was Severe Bruising to the Spleen, Kidneys, and whole left side of torso but the primary bleeding was the two organs primarily mentioned. There were the Medical names, but I honestly can't remember what they were.

It's been nearly eleven months since then. The past two months I've been having the exact pain that I did from the wreck in the same places (beneathe the ribs and lower left back) that I had initially. I haven't done anything to reinjure those organs since.

Is it possible to have a "ghost" injury? Where the pain is identical to the initial pain with certain weather situations? I wrecked in the Ice Storm that hit Arkansas and Oklahoma, and now that it's really getting cold again, it's the first time I've been feeling the same pain.

Please explain how this happens. I'm a firm believer in mind over matter- if there isn't physically an injury that it's all in my head- but even when I really do look at it logically, the physical pain still overpowers that thinking.

Thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:32 am

The pain that you had during the car accident could have sprained your flank or even the spine (an injury that caused trauma to the spleen and the left kidney was undoubtedly severe).
It is possible that that pain is recurring now due to muscle spasm caused by cold weather.
Personally, i do not have experience in managing cases of "ghost" injuries.
Good wishes!
 mazee1 - Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:58 am

How does a muscle spasm happen because of the cold? I believe you that it does, or obviously I wouldn't be having the pain.

It seems as if my organs have "memories" of the wreck and it was in the cold... so they're "reliving" them. That's almost absurd to think, and with that being said, there has to be a logical explanation.

The one you've offered has intrigued me. I am just very curious how the cold weather affects a healed organ. Thanks again, and your answer was really helpful- I did some more research on the flank you mentioned.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:52 am

Many people experience muscle tightness or even spasms in cold weather-especially those who live in warm climates, and are unaccustomed to cold conditions.When this can affect normal muscles, i do not see why it can't do the same to muscles in an area injured at some time in the past.