Question: Dull ache and sharp pain in testicles.

qwertyasd123 - Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:37 pm

Hi, I am a 17 year old male and i have developed a great worry recently.
About 2 weeks ago after a game of squash I came home and found my left tescticle was aching rather badly. Since then, i have never really felt this pain through the day, only on evenings. Also the pain has moved from my left to my right and then back again, constantly switching but never both at the same time. Sometimes this ache develops into a shooting pain that hurts rather a lot.

After doing a check with my fingers around the area of my testicles, i found nothing other than the little ball at the back of my testicles where i believe the sperm chord attaches to the testicle. However, when i apply a little pressure to this area, it hurts quite a bit, is this normal?

I am worried about both the area of my testicle that hurts when pressure is applied and also the pain that is almost constantly existent on an evening. I am currently sexually active with my first partner having not been with anyone else. I have always used protection during sex but alternative sexual activity has taken place without protection. Could this perhaps be the reason? what is wrong with me? help is much appreciated!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:46 am

This kind of pain in either testicle can be due to a number of factors, some of which are...
- acute epididymitis(or epididymo-orchitis),
- blunt trauma. or
- testicular torsion.

In acute epididymitis, the infection is usually retrograde from the urinary bladder via the vas deferens.Could be unilateral or bilateral.Symptoms of UTI are generally associated.Systemic manifestations such as fever may be present.

But, in all cases of acute testicular pain (the 'acute scrotum'), one diagnosis must be excluded---- torsion of the testicle. This may occur sponteneously, or may occur during some vigorous physical activity (although this association is unclear).Sponteneous detortion of the testicle can also occur in about 5-7% of cases.These are the cases which are liable to be missed.

It is very important that you must consult your doctor at the earliest who, in all probability would request an ultrasonography of the scrotum to exclude testicular torsion.