Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: does having a uti affect your period?

meg7 - Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:05 pm

recently i started having the feeling to go to the bathroom often but not having very much urine come out.i get sudden urges that i need to go really badly sometimes, but then they go away. it hurts only a little bit and sometimes a bit of blood came out. so this leads me to believe i might have a bladder infection of some kind. i drank alot of water and cranberry juice and theres no more blood. but i still get the urges. my period is always on time and regular, but this time it was just a day or two late and its really watery and not very much is coming out at all. is that because of my infection?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:32 am

User avatar Hi,
I would not expect a UTI to alter your period, but variety and fluctuation with your menses is very normal. I assume you are getting treatment for the infection.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us