Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Recurrent UTI

shivraj - Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:09 am

i am having recurrent UTI for 4 months :( .. and am so depressed... i have been taking treatment since i got this disease. Doctor has given me many oral antibiotics like cefixime , cefetaxime, nitroforentine, levofloxcin, gatifloxcin..etc each for seven days course... now he is saying that all oral medicins he has already given to me..and now what left are injections....i have so much work that i don't have time to go Hospital and take injections..My question is that ......can i take each oral medicine only for seven days not more than that and are these the only medicine(antibiotics) i can take orally..
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:53 am

User avatar Hi shivraj,
Recurrent UTI's can be very frustrating indeed. A couple of other oral antibiotics used in treatment of UTI's are Trimethoprim-Sulfamethazone, Bactrim, usually given for 10 days.
Low doses of an antibiotic such as TMP/SMZ or nitrofurantoin can be taken daily for 6 months usually taken at bedtime. Some other things you can do are drink plenty of water, (cranberry juice if it's available). If not vitamin C supplements have the same effect. Take showers instead of tub baths. After using the bathroom wipe from front to back. Void, (go to the bathroom and urinate) after sexual intercourse. I hope this information is helpful.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us