Question: Urinating pain when drinking alcohol

Waldenpp - Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:12 pm

I am a healthy male, 27 years old with no STD's or serious medical issues. During my second year in college, I first felt this pain and it comes back every few months. I don't drink every day and I do not have an alcohol problem but sometimes after having a few drinks and going to the bathroom to pee I get a very uncomfortable feeling that is quite painful and lasts about 20 minutes. I don't get an atcual "burning sensation" but a very painful sensation of wanting to pee that just doesnt go away. For example...if I go to the bathroom and pee, within a minute I get a painful sensation of wanting to pee more. If I try to squeeze it out, the pain doesnt go away and I only feel like I need to pee more. If I hold off and ignore it, the pain goes away after about 20 minutes. This hurts a lot and its hard to hide it. I have never felt this pain with out drinking. When in college I would have to get pretty tipsy to feel the pain. Now, I sometimes get the pain after a couple of beers. Please help, thanks.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:56 am

User avatar Hello,Alcohol is a bladder and a urinary stimulant.Also beers act as a diuretic making you to pass good quantities of urine.Also a couple of beers can result in overhydration and excessive urine formation.Interstitial cystitis,prostatic problems,bladder stones also could result in symptoms similar.But your condition being only relating to alcohol may well be due to the irritation or stimulation caused by alcohol.Best wishes.