Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: possibility of having a kidney infection

shivraj - Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:52 pm

i've been having a recurrent UTI for 4 months and taking treatment( different antibiotics) since then.....i didn't have problem of back pain in this course but three or four days ago i started a pain in my backbone and surrounding area(can say flank pain or back pain)...but my urine routine report is showing better results...is there any possibility of having a kidney infection or this pain may occur having some other reasons ( like side effects of antibiotics..now a days i am taking levofloxcin)?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:41 am

If you have more than three urinary tract infections (UTI) in one year, further investigations are necessary to establish if your infections are complicated or uncomplicated. Your post and profile state that you have experienced recurrent urinary infections since November 2004, and these are now associated with flank pain.

Imaging procedures of the urinary tract and renal function tests are now indicated. Have an ultrasound scan of your urinary tract (kidneys, ureters and urinary bladder) as well as preliminary renal function tests (blood levels of urea, creatinine and electrolytes) as the next lines of investigations.

Although these posts on our message boards are from female members, some of the recommendations are applicable to any one with recurrent UTI:

https://www.doctorslounge.com/forums/vie ... highlight=
https://www.doctorslounge.com/forums/vie ... php?t=4546

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 shivraj - Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:28 pm

thank you sir for this very essential information....i was very much worried about it...now i can go for these tests and find out whether i have kidney infection or not...
thank you again for your informative reply

shivraj
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:46 pm

Please update us with test results when they are available.

Dr Solomon

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us