Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Testicular pain, with extended erection time

jhuck2813 - Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi, I am 20 years old, and I have testicular pain in both testicals it seems, when i've had an erection for an extended amount of time (longer than an hour or so) without ejaculating. It is a gradual pain, starts soft and increases with the time and intensity of the erection. the pain is in the testicals and soon begins to hurt in my lower back and maybe lower abdomen. It only happens in this instance, and goes away about an hour or two after the erection goes away. it happened a few years ago, and i didn't think much of it but then it continued to happen and it still does now. It seems that the only thing that really subdues it is having ejaculated recently before (within the past day). any help/advice would be great.
Thanks,
Jared
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:08 pm

User avatar Hello,Erection is due to relaxation of the muscles constituting the penile tissue with increased blood flow during excitation.When this process ends the blood flow reverses and mucles constrict.In certain conditions,and medications and recreational drugs,injury to sexual organ, this process can get halted and is called priapism.You may need investigations to rule out conditions of blood like sicle cell anaemia.Priapism could lead to damage of penile tissue and needs active investigations including ultrasound and doppler.Best wishes.
 jhuck2813 - Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:48 am

Thank you, it seems that priapism has many of the symptoms I have, however the times that I have experienced this, it has always been due to sexual stimulation, where almost every place ive researched says it is not due to sexual stimulation. I noticed the correlation between priapism and the spinal cord as well. I have lower back pain when this happens, what could this mean? and what are steps I could take to stop this from happening?
Jared