Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Gardnerella

atkamarcsika - Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:46 am

Hello,
my partner has penile discharge, and he says he got Gardnerella vaginalis from me. But I don't have any symptoms. Is it possible, that I infected him? As I know Gardenella causes "fishy" odour, but I don't have any problems...
Thanks for your answer!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:10 pm

User avatar Hello,Gardnerella is a common cause of vaginitis but then it can exist in normal woman as a bacterial flora with out disease.Men could carry this from a woman and again it is asymptomatic.Not classified as a sexulally transmitted disease it has some relationship to sexual intercourse though not proved since BV can be got in virgin females.A recent study found no association with non gonococcal urethritis to this organism.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us