Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Varicocelectomy Recovery Time?

ChevyCar5Door - Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:20 pm

Hi I had a Varicocelectomy on December 14, 2009 and I am wondering how long it will be before I can have sex again? I do not want to do anything stupid and hurt myself worse. I have heard many different recovery periods ranging from 2 days, to a week, all the way to an entire month. It is just difficult to find an answer that should be very simple. I would ask my doctor, but he is out of town for the weekend. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
 AXLeon - Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:30 am

I had this done, the doctor told me to give it only a few days, I still took it easy. My concern are how much time it will be before I can get my wife pregnant.

I would like to share the experiences with all this....
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:27 am

User avatar Hi ChevyCar5Door,
In varicocelectomy, nothing is done to the testicles, or the vas deferens (and the rest of the pathway for the spermatozoa).

But, the reasons sited for the time to resumption of sexual activity are to do with
- post operative pain(which may aggravate)
- integrity of the sutures(sutures may slip while straining).

The protocols may vary widely between institutions and surgeons.Surgical technique also plays a role(ligatures vs clips).

Thus, it all depends on the confidence on the part of the surgeon(based on his/her prior experience) as to when it will be safe to permit sexual activity.