Medical Specialty >> Urology

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Urine smelling of eggs

RelentlessX - Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:01 pm

For about a month or so I have been experiencing this egg smell almost every time I urinate. It doesnt happen all the time. But its been more often than not lately. It doesn't burn or hurt when I go, like with most. I don't feel ill or anything like that either. I used to be able to go and it not smell at all. It's making me really self conscious.

I tried drinking more than my usual amount of water for a couple of days and it did seem to make it go away but I was drinking so much I felt like a water balloon. I drink what i thought to be enough water anyways (about 3 to 4 liters a day). I stopped drinking sodas and coffee's about 3 months ago and started drinking strictly water. I did try drinking that drink called 'vitamin water' but it really didnt agree with my stomach at all so I stay now on water only.

I eat well (fruits and veggies), I exercise half an hour everyday and like I said I drink lots of water. No alcohol or caffeine and i try and stay away from fast/junk food. I've been tested for diabetes and it's came back negative luckily.

I didnt have this issue till about a month ago and I cant really think of anything that changed from then to now. I havent been on any sort of medications either. It's a mystery to me I am hoping someone here knows something about.

Thanks!

M.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:18 am

User avatar Hello,Since an urinary tract infection is ruled out you have to think of foods that you eat.For example asparagus does cause smelly urine.Few medications like ampicillin also can cause this.Phoshates in urine,or a concentrated acidic urine are possiblities.Also you should rule out BV, bacterial vaginosis while more commonly causes smelling vaginal discharge could be mistaken for urinary odor.Best wishes.