Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Premature Ejaculation-Sensitivity on one side of the penis

redrooster - Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:24 am

I've read everything about PE and I'm sure you've heard everything about it. But I think my case is somewhat distinct and puzzling. Hope an expert can crack it or give some insight into its causes.

I am a sexually-active male in my early twenties who has been diagnosed with primary premature ejaculation. It has ended relationships, contributed to depression, and I think I have somewhat of a complex about it.

A urologist diagnosed me with primary premature ejaculation a few years ago and gave me SSRIs, which increased my latency time from 30 seconds to a minute. I stopped taking them because I didn't think the side-effects were worth the extra 30 seconds.

In fact, the best medication for my PE has been consuming excessive amounts of alcohol. With it, I can last about three minutes without ejaculating or having to pull out. Maybe. Rum is especially effective. For what it's worth, I find this panacea much more desirable than taking those bloody pills for my life. It makes me last longer, to boot. But, as you might guess, the amount of alcohol I'd have to consume to effectively combat my PE and at the same time keep up with the amount of good sex I'd like to have would be, in generous terms, a boon for whichever municipality is the beneficiary of the taxes from my liquor purchases and inevitable bonds and fines that would follow. I hear you can't have sex in jail. This all sounds normal for someone with primary PE, I suppose.

But I think my case is distinct because only the left side of my penis is sensitive. Primarily, my corpus cavernosum on my left side (the side of my left hand, to be specific) is acutely sensitive and stimulation of it leads to fast ejaculation. Meanwhile, the same spongy tissue on the right side doesn't receive the orgasmic pleasure of the left. It's actually somewhat dull and in only a few cases have I felt the same amount of pleasure there. My orgasms, as a result, are only felt on the left side of my penis and the glans. The excessive stimulation is primarily, but not only, near the glans, and there is a small bump where my frenulum would be that is especially sensitive. In fact, I think if the left side of my penis responded the same way as the right side, I would not be having this problem (and life in general would be markedly better; I'd be sober a lot more, too).

I have a few theories about the causes. Something could have gone wrong during the circumcision-which I had when I was a newborn and I have not consulted my parents about it. I am leaning towards this because I remember once I started masturbating, which was before I could produce ejaculate, I would focus on the corpus cavernosum on the left side near the glans because it felt especially pleasurable there. Perhaps an improper circumcision exposed a nerve? Or a set of nerves? Or maybe that part was just a little sensitive and I conditioned myself to orgasm from pleasuring it, thus causing PE...?

Theory two: after I started masturbating, when I was about 13 and still sexually developing, my penis got caught in my zipper right where that bump is. There was a small amount of blood and it hurt for a few days but I recovered. The only reason I have not ruled this mishap out as a cause of my PE is because that is where the most sensitive part of my penis is-where the zipper snagged it.

I should note that the urologist I visited thought that I might be "wired differently down there," and that I would have to deal with my PE for life. I agree with him in part because, like my penis that is only sensitive on its left side, I think my central nervous system is also "wired differently." I have had a propensity to overheat and vomit easily since I was a child, I am terribly ticklish, I have a propensity towards addiction, and I am easily distracted.

Anyway, I was just wondering whether any urologist on this board has heard of similar cases and might be able to point me in the right direction. Come hell or high water I'm getting this fixed.

As a postscript, I'd like to give a little barb at the urological research community (and you can edit out this, or other disagreeable aspects of my post, if you wish. I just want sound advice):

How about doing researching PE in the way of actually making connections about the causes of PE and mens' bodies and lifestyle? (Do men with a history of depression, ADD, or addiction, for instance, suffer from PE more than the general population? What about something as odd as being especially ticklish? Or having central nervous system problems? Or what about cut versus uncut men?). Men don't have PE because their parent's whipped them with a bible when they caught them jacking off as children. And, please, get out of the pockets of Big Pharma, and do some research that doesn't look for the solution to PE in a pill whose side-effect profile looks like a wish list whipped up by satin. Listen to men with PE. And get them to talk. The problem of PE is much more dynamic and complex than the research the urological community has been pushing--at least the research I can find.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:37 am

User avatar Hello,You are right in saying that more needs to be done for Premature ejaculation than it is today.While sidenafil has been a breakthrough in Erectile Dysfunction we are nowhere near such a drug here.
While some studies are done to find out whether the problem of PE is peripheral or central, much needs to be done.You are indicating that external injury could have precipitated this problem.Research as of today indicates it is more central ie the brain centre chemisrty.
Many a times you are normal but expectations are abnormal ie the partner takes longer time for satisfaction.Hypersensitivity of penile skin and performance anxiety seem the two factors.
Serotonin is a chemical said to be involved in this process and antiserotonin agents seem to be effective.
Relaxation techniques,meditation,stress management and pubococcygeal muscle training help a long way in recovery apart from the traditional Master and Johnson Squeeze technique.
 redrooster - Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:15 pm

Well, you haven't told me anything I didn't already know. But I suppose that's indicative of the limited scope of knowledge the urological community has--or cares to have--about it.

I've had one idea: I think I've trained myself to come early when I started to masturbate. Is there anyway I can condition my penis to be less sensitive and responsive to stimulation? I mean, I know about the Master's and Johnson technique, and I've tried it with myself on and off as well as with my partners. Not much has happened. I was almost thinking about depriving myself of orgasms for a while but still stimulate myself. I mean, not completely deprive, but maybe ejaculate once or twice per month while in the meantime stimulating my penis and training it to not respond as it does to stimulation. Do you think that would be an effective method?

And can you go into more what you were saying about premature ejaculation being a problem in brian chemistry? I know the whole explanation about serotonin. But is there anything else involved? Moreover, do you think the University of Cincinnati study concluding there is an ejaculatory mechanism in the spine (of rats, I believe) will be promising in the way of solving PE?

Thanks for your reply. Hope to hear back with some good information so that I, and I'm sure many others on this board, may try to constructively solve, or at the least deal with, this problem--one which has to be treated much more seriously than it is because it has negative impacts on the quality of health of those who have it (I know it's caused me to be suicidal). Besides, who doesn't want to please their partner like they want and deserve to be pleased?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:24 pm

User avatar Hello,The sacral or pudendal ganglion and the relationship to bulbocavernous reflex has been studies and conclusions drawn were that there is a reverse hyperexcitablity at that level but then related to the regulating upper centers.If I would come across any more new development I shall keep you posted.Ok?
 redrooster - Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:24 pm

That would be wonderful. Thank you very much. In the meantime, I think I am going to see a sex therapist/urologist and I can summarize their conclusions.
 redrooster - Tue May 18, 2010 8:33 pm

Well, I've still been searching for solutions to my problem. No dice. I thought I'd prod you for another reply. Three simple questions, if you care to answer them:

1. Have you encountered cases of men with oversensitivity on one side of their penis? Or in one zone and not the other?

2. Just how could this happen? Is there an explanation you can offer, however rudimentary it is?

3. How would you go about solving this if you were me?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:46 am

User avatar Hello,Pudendal nerve entrapment is now being studied and the possiblity in your case maybe the cause of your unilateral nerve condition.As I understand the nerve can get injured during cycling,and after injury.
As to where the entrapment has occured for example at the piriformis muscle is known as piriformis syndrome.
MR neurography is used to diagnose such rarer syndromes of pressure induced pudendal neuropathies.
I thank you for your consistent interest which makes us think more to elucidate obscure problems which generally we brush aside as psycological!
Do keep writing andI shall update you too.