Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Skin Bridge on Uncircumcised Penis

concernedguy89 - Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:24 am

So the subject pretty much explains it all. I have a skin bridge on my uncirmcumcised penis that causes discomfort after any type of sexual contact. My question here is a full circumcision the only solution? Personally I don't think I can handle that pain! In any case, is there any procedure only to remove the skin bridge and keep the foreskin intacted?

Thank you in advance!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:55 am

User avatar Hi concernedguy89,

It will be better if you could you kindly let me know where exactly is the skin bridge, how long it had been present & how broad it is so as to enable me to answer your query.Thank you.
 concernedguy89 - Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:01 am

Dr. Kamath, thank you for replying........The skin bridge is slightly less than 0.5 inches wide and is attached at the corona of the penis gland. It is located at the topside of the penis. As for how long it has been there I was born with it (Or at least since I was 5, when I could remember) however, it has not bothered me during any type of activity until recently.

I hope to hear from you soon.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:26 am

During development of the prepuce, the inner surface of the prepuce is initially fused to the underlying glans.Separation occurs later in fetal life and continues after birth, thus gradually forming the 'prepuceal cavity' (the space between the prepuce and the glans).Once the prepuce is totally free, it becomes fully retractable.

In some cases,(such as yours), the process may be incomplete and thus a bridge may remain.Surgery for this is not mandatory, unless...
- there is pain
- there is a channel underneath the bridge where,dirt collects and causes symptoms, or
- for cosmetic reasons.
Again, circumcision (in my opinion) is not mandatory, but greatly assists in quick healing and helps in avoiding recurrences.