Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: 17 Year Old Retractile Testicle

 random_person.random - Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:19 am

I am 17 years old. When I get an erection, sometimes I get a retractile testicle (varies between right and left) which I can slide back into place with my hand. After I slide it back into place, it normally retracts again. Also, I often have trouble starting to urinate, and sometimes some pain at the base of my penis when doing so. I usually have a weak stream. Should I be worried? What could this be?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:07 pm

User avatar Hi,
Conventional teaching has so far been that the retractile testes are an otherwise normal, physiological variants that mostly descend spontaneously by puberty and require no active treatment.

In the recent past, studies have cast doubts that this complacent view may not be right.

Considerable overlap seems to exist between the three seemingly distinct entities of the
- late descending,
- the ascending and
- the retractile testes.

There is increasing evidence that seems to suggest that retractile testes that spend most of the time in an extrascrotal position may experience identical adverse effects of higher temperatures as 'true' undescended testes.What matters is where they are located most of the time. The evidence also suggests that over time,such retractile testes suffer quite similar pathological changes as the true undescended testes, if allowed to await spontaneous descent.

Based on these observations,some workers tend to advocate a radical, novel proposal that the retractile testes are a variant of a spectrum of pathological maldescended testes and thus require active treatment (orchidopexy).

In your instance, it appears(from your description) that the retraction occurs occasionally.A weak urinary stream certainly needs to be investigated.So, it is advisable that you should consult a urologist get this sorted out.Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us