Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: 17 Year Old Retractile Testicle

random_person.random - Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:19 am

I am 17 years old. When I get an erection, sometimes I get a retractile testicle (varies between right and left) which I can slide back into place with my hand. After I slide it back into place, it normally retracts again. Also, I often have trouble starting to urinate, and sometimes some pain at the base of my penis when doing so. I usually have a weak stream. Should I be worried? What could this be?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:07 pm

Conventional teaching has so far been that the retractile testes are an otherwise normal, physiological variants that mostly descend spontaneously by puberty and require no active treatment.

In the recent past, studies have cast doubts that this complacent view may not be right.

Considerable overlap seems to exist between the three seemingly distinct entities of the
- late descending,
- the ascending and
- the retractile testes.

There is increasing evidence that seems to suggest that retractile testes that spend most of the time in an extrascrotal position may experience identical adverse effects of higher temperatures as 'true' undescended testes.What matters is where they are located most of the time. The evidence also suggests that over time,such retractile testes suffer quite similar pathological changes as the true undescended testes, if allowed to await spontaneous descent.

Based on these observations,some workers tend to advocate a radical, novel proposal that the retractile testes are a variant of a spectrum of pathological maldescended testes and thus require active treatment (orchidopexy).

In your instance, it appears(from your description) that the retraction occurs occasionally.A weak urinary stream certainly needs to be investigated.So, it is advisable that you should consult a urologist get this sorted out.Good luck!