Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: successful open varicocele surgery?

vladda - Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:21 am

Hello,
My name is Vladimir and I have done an open varicocele surgery 45 days ago in a private clinic in Athens. I supose it was a classic open surgery though I have 4 centimeter long cut and I was told to do not lift heavy for next 3 weeks. I had varicocele and testis atrophy. My surgeon told me that I was lucky because I didn't have one other problem who is common with varicocele and that my testis will recover in full size (it was new for me though I learnd before that testis can't recover in normal size again). After surgery I still have varicocele vein as I had before surgery, in its full size but my surgeon told me it needs 6 months for both varicocele vein and testis to recover. One month after surgery I told my surgeon that I still have the same vein and he repeat again that its need 6 months.
Please, I will like to know if you agree with it though it doesent make sense for me?
Also, I was told I can go back to normal activities 3 weeks after surgery but I still surf from pain (45 days after), I can't run and do an exercises of course but I hope it will just took more time to heal!
All the best!
Vladimir
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:18 am

User avatar Hi Vladimir,
After a varicocele surgery,it certainly takes some time for the spermatogenesis to recover(as your doctor had suggested). Testicular size is another matter altogether. You need not entertain too high hopes regarding the testis recovering to its 'normal' size.

An 'atrophic' testis is usually small and soft. A small, but firm testis may not be atrophic.With passage of time the atrophic testis may turn firmer.

The ligated veins of the dilated 'pampiniform plexus' may feel dilated for some time and usually regress with time.

I guess you need to give it a bit more time to heal. Good luck!
 vladda - Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:00 pm

thank you very much!
i have one more question: does "The ligated veins of the dilated 'pampiniform plexus' may feel dilated for some time and usually regress with time" means that the vein still can get the blood as before untill it regress? in my case the vein is just as before surgery what means that blood gets in and make it heavy and full with blood. if is vein still delated but empty i will understand and it will be logic for me.
all the best!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:02 am

User avatar Hi,
In a varicocele, there is reversal of flow of blood. Ligation of the veins stops this. Many of these veins may thrombose(due to stagnation of blood) following ligation and may 'feel' full.
Thank you!
 davebuczek - Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:33 pm

Hi,

I have a similar situation as it is 40 days after surgery and I still feel some pain in my left testicle. It is not the same pain as before the surgery. Do the veins die out after they have been ligated? If so, could this be what is causing me the pain? My doctor says to give it some time, but in 3 months everything should be ok. I have read many articles, where it is suggested that after 1 month everything should be normal. Could I (along with Vladimir) just take longer to heal or is there probably something else wrong? I should add that the dialated veins are not there anymore and there are no other visual signs of the varicocele.

Thanks for the help.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us