Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Teenage urine leaking

random4ever - Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:55 am

I am a 13-year old girl (and my menstrual cycle started around my tenth birthday). I have a problem with leaking urine all the time. I can never wipe all it dry when I use the restroom, and it ends up clotting into solid, semi-sticky stuff in my pubic area. I use feminine pads to keep it from getting on my underwear, but it's embarrassing. The earliest I remember having a problem with it was when I was eight or nine. I am slightly overweight (but wasn't when I was eight or nine). Is this normal for adolescents? Is there any way for it to be stopped?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:37 pm

User avatar Hi,
In the adults,
inability to maintain voiding control is virtually
always considered to be pathological, in children with urinary
incontinence, evaluation must include the context of
his or her developmental age.
Fine tuning of the voiding reflex and its voluntary control is heavily influenced by cultural, social, & environmental factors.

Etiologically,Childhood urinary incontinence can be classified as
- organic or
- functional.

Organic incontinence may further be classified as
- structural or
- neurogenic.

Functional incontinence: those in which no
structural or neurologic abnormality can be demonstrated.

Any child/adolescent with urinary incontinence needs to be assessed by a full medical history & physical examination. Certain non-invasive or invasive studies may be indicated.

Urge incontinence(urge syndrome) is a type of functional incontinence which may be predominantly seen in girls and is frequently associated with other medical
conditions, such as recurrent urinary tract infections, vesicoureteral reflux and constipation.

Your history is suggestive of a UTI(urinary tract infection), which may be causing or aggravating your problem. I feel that you should consult a urologist and get fully assessed. Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us