Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Anxiety erectile dysfunction

OSUMed - Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:46 pm

I am a 26 year old male with no history of erectile dysfunction until recently. About a month ago I started seeing a girl who has been a friend of mine for a long time. She is a beautiful girl and I am very sexually attracted to her only now I am having issues getting hard/staying hard. I believe it's psychological but could also be a testosterone deficiency.

I have been sexually active for 6 or 7 years and have never once had this issue before. I was recently in a two year relationship where we were having sex and I was always able to get and stay hard. The problem now is that the girl I am dating is a virgin and although I would like to have sex with her, I know she wants to wait and I know it would destroy our relationship.

I believe this caused an intense amount of anxiety during times of intimacy because she is a very sexual person and I read that can lead to damage in the penis. It's not performance anxiety because I know I am good in bed, but it's anxiety all the same.

Now when I get aroused my penis usually does not become fully erect and I often have the urge to ejaculate before I even get hard. There's often a discomfort in the tip of my penis and I have nowhere near the same sex drive I used to have. I was masturbating 5 times a week and now I'm down to once or twice, and usually I have to psych myself up for it. I also used to have frequent spontaneous erections and now that only happens during sleep. I also have a lot of pre-cum now and usually have excess leakage a while after ejaculating.

What can I do?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:50 pm

User avatar Hello,ED or Erectile Dysfunction as it is called is defined as inability to sustain and maintain an erection sufficient for a satisfactory sexual activity.
Usually anxiety,depression and lack of confidence are the main problem and known as pschogenic ED.Apart from anxiety,depression,sexual inhibitions,and conflicts over sexual preference are other causes of psychogenic ED.
vascular,neurological,injuries,drugs,alcohol,smoking,diabetes,ageing,hypogonadism are other known causes.In iatrogenic the cause is not known.Hypogonadal causes would present with decreased night erections and respond to androgen therapy,if identified so with relevant investigations.

Tests done include nocturnal penile tumescence,rigi scan,doppler,and tests to study venous occusive mechanism,and androgen levels.
Treatment would depend on the cause.Best wishes

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us