Question: Can Cystoscopy w Bladder distention cause a miscarriage?

amh13 - Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:21 pm

I am 4 weeks preg and just had a cystoscopy with bladder distention for diag of IC. Of course i have it. I did not tell my Dr. for i am afraid he would not do the procedure. So i wonder what are the percentage if any for miscarriage. Is Elmiron and elavil safe to use during preg. I do plan on telling him in 2wks when I have my PO appt.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:29 am

It was highly improper & risky to withhold information such as this from your doctor.

Risk of miscarriage following any procedure under anesthesia exists but exact Percentages of risk following bladder distension for IC is not available.You have not mentioned what kind of anesthesia was used.

One of the main concerns when operating on a pregnant woman is preterm labor. For this reason, pregnant women are generally advised to postpone any surgery(non-emergent) until the second or third trimester, preferably the third trimester. Neonatal mortality is about 90% at 25 weeks' gestation and reduces to less than 15% by week 30.

First trimester anesthesia exposure increases the risk of spontaneous abortion and lower birth weight. There is a view that this is more likely due to surgical manipulation and the condition that necessitates surgery than to the exposure to anesthetic agents.

Pentosan polysulfate sodium (Elmiron)- (class B-Fetal risk-U.S. Food and Drug Administration category: not confirmed in human studies but has been shown in some animal studies). Because Elmiron has not been tested sufficiently in pregnant women, the manufacturer recommends that it is not to be used during pregnancy, except in the most severe cases.

Amitriptyline (Elavil)-- (class D-Fetal risk has been shown in humans); Recommended for use only if benefits outweigh risk to the fetus.