Question: Sprapubic catheter and swimming

idmcg - Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:36 am

I have a suprapubic catheter fitted and have been told that I shouldn't swim in a public pool because of this. Is there a significant risk in doing this and is there any way I could, physically, take precautions to enable me to swim and yet avoid whatever the risk is said to be? Is the risk to me or other users?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:12 am

Theoretically the risk is both for yourself and others as well.

To you( or any person with an indewelling suprapubic catheter), because there is a chance that the water in the pool may enter your urinary bladder around the catheter and may cause a urinary tract infection.

For others using the pool, as a result of your urine contaminating the water in the pool.

Generally, one should wait for the first few weeks following surgery for the wound to heal fully (your surgeon will be the best person to decide about this).

Thereafter, one may swim in a public pool with certain precautions in place...
- avoid drinking water immediately prior to the visit to the pool.
- Drain all urine immediately prior to the visit to the pool, disconnect & securely block the tube.
- some kind of a plug around the tube exit site would be useful (seek opinion from your doctor or specialist nurse).

Good luck!