Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Transurethral Needle Ablation (TUNA)

Tim Healey - Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:22 pm

I had a Transurethral Needle Ablation (TUNA) procedure in January of 2004 and still have blood in my urine a couple of times a week15 months later. My urologist says that a little "clotting" is normal. Is this right so long after the procedure, will it really last forever. Is there anything that can/should be done? Thanks TIM
 Dr. D. Sawh - Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:40 am

Dear Mr. Healey,
Thanks for your question. Blood in the urine is a medical condition called haematuria. After the procedure, a little clotting would always be normal. In some cases, the '' clotting'' could last anywhere from 12-24 months depending on several factors, e.g. YOUR AGE, YOUR OCCUPATION, ANY OTHER SURGICAL PROCEDURES THAT WERE PERFORMED PRIOR TO TUNA, ANY OTHER CONCURRENT ILLNESSES SUCH AS HIGH CHOLESTEROL, HYPERTENSION, DIABETES, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS, ANY HAEMORRHAGE, HIGH- GRADE FEVER, ETC. IT WOULD/ SHOULD NOT PERSIST FOREVER. I need to ask u some questions: a) WHAT IS YOUR PRESENT OCCUPATION? HOW LONG AFTER TUNA DID YOUR UROLOGIST TOLD YOU TO RESUME WORK?
b) WERE ANY OTHER SURGICAL PROCEDURES PERFORMED PRIOR TO TUNA?
c) DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER ILLNESS SUCH AS HYPERTENSION, DIABETES, HIGH CHOLESTEROL/ TRIGLYCERIDES, ANY TYPE OF ARTHRITIS, ETC.? IF YES, KINDLY STATE WHAT THEY ARE--- WHAT MEDICATIONS YOU ARE CURRENTLY USING (IF ANY)--- AND THEIR DOSAGES--- FOR HOW LONG HAVE U HAD THIS CONDITION(S)?
d) AFTER TUNA, WHAT ADVICE DID YOUR UROLOGIST GAVE YOU?
e) AFTER TUNA, DID YOUR UROLOGIST PRESCRIBE ANY MEDICATION? IF YES, WHAT WAS IT AND THE DOSAGE PLEASE?
f) ARE YOU SEXUALLY ACTIVE? IF YES, HOW MANY TIMES PER WEEK DO YOU ENGAGE IN SEX?
g) IS THE BLOOD AT THE START OF THE URINARY STREAM OR MIXED IN WITH THE WHOLE STREAM?
h) IS THE HAEMATURIA PAINFUL OR ENTIRELY PAINLESS?
i) HAVE YOU HAD ANY PAST UROLOGICAL CONDITIONS BESIDES THIS ONE?

I am anxiously awaiting your responses to the questions that I've asked above. Please understand that the responses to the above questions must be known first before I COULD FURTHER ADVISE YOU ON HOW TO PROCEED.
YOURS TRULY, D. A. SAWH
M.Sc., Pharm.D., M.D., F.R.C.P.(UK).