Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Natural Remedy?

wallbreaker - Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:58 pm

Hi all, I currently have a UTI. I have not gone to the doctor yet, and with my work schedule being as hectic and sporadic as it is, it could be some time unless I absolutely need to go. I have had plenty of UTI's before. 2 years ago I had 3 in a row because the meds obviously didn't work. So in other words, I don't need a doctor to diagnose my UTI as I know full well that is what I have. My question is....I have been drinking an ungodly amount of cranberry juice in hopes that this will just flush it out...Will drinking cranberry juice for let's say 7 days straight get rid of my UTI? If it won't cure it..I will definitely see the doctor to get those pills I got last time that I only had to take for 3 days...but I was just wondering if this will work instead? Anyone know? Anyone know what sort of doses I should be taking of cranberry juice? Seems like I have been drinking atleast 4l of it per day. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
 Dr. D. Sawh - Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:30 pm

Dear wallbreaker,
Thanks for your question. [b]Generally, drinking cranberry juice for 7 days straight WOULD NOT ERADICATE YOUR UTI PROBLEM. A UTI occurs when bacteria enter the urinary tract & reproduce. It is claimed that over 8 million Americans have had to seek medical attention for UTI's annually. Women are especially susceptible: one in five women will have at least 1 UTI DURING HER LIFETIME. Traditionally, cranberry has been used for the treatment and prophylaxis of UTI's. Research suggests that its mechanism of action is preventing bacterial adherence to host cell surface membranes. Recent controlled trials demonstrate evidence of its utility in UTI prophylaxis. However, cranberry is a safe, well- tolerated herbal supplement that does not have clinically significant drug interactions. I would now briefly outline some key points about cranberry: [/b] 1) EFFICACY: UTI prophylaxis: good effect
UTI treatment: evidence lacking at present.
2) SIDE-EFFECTS: MIGHT INCREASE URINARY OXALATE LEVELS.
3) DRUG INTERACTIONS: NO SIGNIFICANT INTERACTIONS HAVE BEEN REPORTED.
4) COST IN U.S.A. : TABLETS: 10-20 dollars for a 30-day supply.
UNSWEETENED JUICE: VARIES, DEPENDING ON BRAND.
5) DOSAGE: This varies depending on preparation.
TABLETS: 1 TABLET (300-400mg) TWICE DAILY FOR ONE MONTH.
JUICE: MAX DOSE: 8 OUNCES (1GLASSFULL) THREE TIMES DAILY.
6) BOTTOM LINE: SAFE HERBAL SUPPLEMENT/ MEDICINE; VERY EFFECTIVE IN UTI PROPHYLAXIS.
7) CAUTION: REGULAR USE/ OVERDOSE OF CRANBERRY JUICE MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF KIDNEY STONE FORMATION (RENAL CALCULI).
N.B. DRINKING 4L OF IT A DAY IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR REPRODUCTIVE & SEXUAL HEALTH i.e. pain during sexual intercourse or spasmodic contraction of the vaginal walls, making it very difficult for easy penetration of the penis during sex. Also, from a british perspective, it could cause repeated/ recurrent UTI's if u continue to drink this overdose. [b]USE DOSAGE SUGGESTED ABOVE FOR AT LEAST 1 MONTH. You may also have to visit your doctor in order to obtain those antibiotics if signs & symptoms persist for over 3-4 weeks. Whether drinking the juice/ tablets would lead to a cure; this ques. is still open for debate--- your guess is as good as mine.[/b] Once a patient of mine asked me,''Why do women have UTI's more often than men?''
My answer was simple: 1) bacteria can reach the bladder more easily in women
2) The urethra is shorter in women than in men, so bacteria have a shorter distance to travel. 3) The urethra is located near to the rectum in women: bacteria from the rectal region could travel up the urethra and so cause UTI's.

I WOULD NOW GIVE YOU SOME PRACTICAL TIPS AS TO HOW TO PREVENT RECURRENT UTI's: ( your Dr. should have told u this)----
a) Drink plenty of water to flush out the bacteria.
b) Do not hold in your urine: urinate when u feel like u need to. When bladder is full, let it out A.S.A.P. BECAUSE THE MORE U HOLD IN YOUR URINARY FLOW, THE GREATER THE NOS. OF BACTERIA IN YOUR URINARY TRACT AND NOT ALL WOULD PASS OUT.
c) After each bowel movement, wipe from front to back and never the other way around.
d) Urinate right after having sex to help wash away bacteria.
e) Practice good personal hygiene as well as good menstrual hygiene: i.e. use sanitary pads instead of tampons.
f) Always use enough lubrication during sex. Women could try using a small amount of K-Y JELLY before sex if they are a little dry.
g) Women with repeated UTI's may want to avoid using a diaphragm. Ask your doctor about other alternative birth control choices.

kindly let me know whether this info was of any use to you and whether you have any more questions relating to herbal supplements.

yours truly,
D. SAWH
M.Sc., Pharm.D., M.D., F.R.C.P. (UK).
[/quote]
 wallbreaker - Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:01 pm

Thank you for the response. I was drinking up to 3L per day. I have had this darn UTI since Thursday night now and tried to call my doctor but he isn't in until tommorow. I am now feeling much worst in the mornings (as I can't very well drink while I am sleeping) I have also seemed to have caught some back pain in my lower left side of my back. I am hoping this isn't spreading and I think I am doing a good job making sure I go when I need to and drinking as much Juice as humanly possible. I have just picked up some Cranberry capsules that are apparently 3X concentrate and hope this will help as I can't seem to stomach the cranberry juice. Hopefully my doctor will be able to see me tommorow, but doctor's here seem to be booked for weeks. :(
 Dr. D. Sawh - Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:22 am

Dear wallbreaker,
You mentioned back pain in the lower left side of your back---- This could probably be that the infection has now spread to other parts of your body e.g. the kidneys. Hopefully, your doctor would return tomorrow. He/ she would have to do some blood tests, complete urinalysis & a thorough physical examination in order to rule out kidney infections e.g. institial cystitis, urethritis,etc. You also said that u picked up some cranberry capsules that are 3 times concentrated-- I would strongly advise u to stop drinking the juice IMMEDIATELY and just use the capsules for now. The main reason why u cannot stomach the juice is because u used too much of it already and so the juice would react with your stomach acid, thereby creating an acid-on acid situation. [b]In addition, you might encounter nausea, vomiting, headaches, blurred vision(rare), insomnia(rare), diarrhoea(watery),etc. [img]If%20u%20are%20experiencing%20any%20of%20the%20above%20symptoms,%20please%20inform%20your%20doctor%20about%20them%20so%20that%20he/%20she%20could%20take%20the%20appropriate%20steps%20in%20your%20treatment%20program.[/b][/img]

Here's hoping that all would be well. SEND ME A RESPONSE A.S.A.P.
YOURS TRULY,
[b]D.SAWH M.Sc.,Pharm.D., M.D., F.R.C.P.(UK)[/
b]
 wallbreaker - Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:25 am

Thanks for the great advice and knowledge. I called my doctor and apparently they want me to drop off a urine sample and wait for the test results which could take a full day. I think I will end up just going to the hospital because its easier and more convenient for me. I have stopped drinking cranberry juice and am currently still taking the pills. I woke up for the first time without feeling the UTI so these pills really do work much better. On a side note, anyone reading this and wondering about the cranberry juice, do yourself a favor and skip it and go for the capsules. As a result of drinking so much cranberry juice my throat is raw and luckily my wicked heart burn is going away.It helped my UTI feel better but not nearly as much as the capsules. So in the end, the results weren't the best for the juice as it just caused more problems for the little comfort I got from it. :) Save yourself the hassle LOL
 Dr. D. Sawh - Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:43 pm

Dear wallbreaker, I am elated that you are feeling much better. congratulations!
P.S. IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS CONCERNING THIS TOPIC OR ANY OTHER HEALTH TOPIC, PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT ME AT THIS FORUM.

BEST REGARDS,
D.A. SAWH
M.Sc., Pharm.D., M.D., F.R.C.P.

wallbreaker - Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:10 pm

Thank you, you have been a great help in making me realize that darn cranberry juice was more hassle than worth LOL 8)
 wallbreaker - Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:15 pm

On my way to being cured! Got my drugs today, no more UTI for me!! WHOOHOO :)

I have to take Apo Sufatrim- 2 tablets twice a day for 3days and then 1 tablet twice a day for 7days..sheesh thats a lot, but probably cause i waited so darn long :roll:
 Dr. D. Sawh - Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:08 am

Dear wallbreaker,
CONGRATULATIONS ! NEXT TIME DON'T WAIT SO LONG TO GO AND SEEK MEDICAL ASSISTANCE. I'M GLAD THAT U GOT YOUR DRUG (APO- SULFATRIM) TODAY. I'M INDEED GLAD THAT YOU ARE ON THE ROAD TO RECOVERY.

ALWAYS REMEMBER THE PRECAUTIONS AS WELL AS THE PRACTICAL TIPS THAT I HAD GIVEN TO YOU BEFORE IN ORDER TO DECREASE YOUR CHANCES OF DEVELOPING RECURRENT UTI's.
ALSO, DON'T HESITATE TO CONTACT ME AT ANY TIME ON THIS FORUM. MAY GOD SHOWER HIS RICHEST AND DIVINE BLESSINGS UPON YOU IN ORDER FOR YOU TO OVERCOME THIS HURDLE. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU IN YOUR FUTURE ENDEAVOURS.

BEST REGARDS,
D. A. SAWH M.Sc., Pharm.D., M.D., F.R.C.P.(U.K.).
 wallbreaker - Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:40 am

Thank you! I won't forget :D
 wallbreaker - Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:23 pm

How long after taking the medication does one start to feel better? I have just started my single pill X 2 daily and I still feel the UTI :( Is this normal? I fear that it will come back. Two years ago I had 3 UTI's in a row and the only thing that cured it was these pills that I had to take only 1 pill per day for 3 days, does anyone know the name of them?
 Dr. D. Sawh - Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:04 pm

Hello wallbreaker,
In the case of Apo-Sulfatrim, usually between 10-14 days. It is usually advisable to complete the prescribed course of treatment given to you. Along with the treatment, don't forget the practical tips that I had listed before and also whilst on the medication, DO NOT USE ANY CRANBERRY JUICE OR TABLETS. UTI's can be a damn nuisance to most women like yourself but try as much as possible to hang in there. If the UTI persists even when the treatment has been completed, kindly contact me at this very forum and let me know of the situation. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE COURSE OF TREATMENT BEFORE GETTING IN CONTACT WITH ME AND YES IT IS NORMAL: REMEMBER THAT UTI's CANNOT BE CURED COMPLETELY USING JUST SOME OF THE MEDICATION AND EXPECTING TO SEE RESULTS OVERNIGHT. It takes some time in the majority of women depending on several factors, e.g. the nature of infection( whether bacterial, viral or fungal), how long you initially had the infection, when did you first notice the symptoms, the extent of infection as well as the severity of the infection, etc.
UTI's ALWAYS HAVE A TENDENCY TO RETURN AFTER THE FIRST INFECTION; COULD BE 2-4 WEEKS TIME, 1-6 MONTHS AFTER, ETC. IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR PERSONAL HYGIENE AND SANITARY HABITS AND WHETHER YOU HAVE ANY LESIONS, LACERATIONS, ETC. ANYWHERE ON YOUR GENITALIA OR ANYWHERE ON YOUR SKIN.

SOME QUESTIONS FOR YOU TO ANSWER :
1) WHAT IS YOUR PRESENT OCCUPATION?
2) HAVE U AT ANY TIME USE YOUR WORKPLACE'S WASHROOM? HOW OFTEN DO YOU HAVE THE URGE TO GO?
3) WHEN WAS YOUR LAST MENSTRUAL PERIOD? IS YOUR MENSTRUATION REGULAR OR VERY IRREGULAR? PLEASE EXPLAIN !
4) WHEN LAST DID YOU HAVE SEX? WAS IT PROTECTED OR UNPROTECTED SEX? HOW MANY TIMES PER WEEK DO U HAVE SEX? DO YOU HAVE ONE FAITHFUL PARTNER OR MULTIPLE SEX PARTNERS? AT ANY TIME DURING SEX, DID A COMDOM BURST INSIDE OF YOU ? IF YES, WHAT DID YOU DO AFTERWARDS ! WHAT TYPE OF SEXUAL ACTIVITY DO YOU NORMALLY ENGAGE IN : VAGINAL, ANAL AND ORAL SEX OR A COMBINATION OF THEM. IF YES, TELL ME IN WHAT ORDER---- PLEASE BE AS TRUTHFUL AS POSSIBLE WITH YOURSELF---- NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF.
5) THE DOCTOR THAT GAVE YOU THE 3-DAY COURSE OF TABLETS, IS HE/SHE THE SAME DOCTOR THAT PRESCRIBED THE APO- SULFATRIM TABS. ? IF NO, GO BACK TO THE DOCTOR THAT HAD PRESCRIBED THE 3-DAY COURSE AND EXPLAIN YOUR SITUATION TO HIM / HER. I HAVE AN IDEA AS TO WHAT THEY WERE BUT ENQUIRE ITS NAME AND WRITE IT DOWN AND LET ME KNOW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE--- OK !
6) IF YOU CANNOT GET IN TOUCH WITH THE DOCTOR, THEN CONTACT ME IMMEDIATELY INFORMING ME OF THE SITUATION ---- AND I WOULD THEN TELL YOU WHAT ACTUALLY WORKS FOR APPROX. 97% OF MY FEMALE PATIENTS WITH UTI'S WHICH I PRESCRIBE TO THEM.
7) ARE YOU EXPERIENCING ANY SIDE - EFFECTS FROM THE APO -SULFATRIM? IF SO, WHAT ARE THEY?
8) DID YOUR DOCTOR GIVE YOU ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO PREVENT A UTI FROM RECURRING AND DID HE COUNSEL YOU ON THE PRECAUTIONS TO TAKE WHEN USING APO- SULFATRIM? IF SO WHAT WERE THEY?

LOOKING FORWARD TO A SWIFT AND TIMELY RESPONSE. PLEASE REMEMBER BE AS HONEST AS POSSIBLE WITH YOUR RESPONSES TO ALL OF THE ABOVE QUESTIONS---- IT IS YOU THAT NEED URGENT HELP !

YOURS TRULY, D. A. SAWH M.Sc., Pharm.D., M.D., F.R.C.P. (U.K.)

Rhonda P, CEP - Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:51 am

I was just reading the distress you have been going through with your UTI’s. I’ve glad that DHARAM is following through this with you. He is very knowledgeable in the field.

I have a thought that might help, I would like to suggest something we use over here in the United States for UTI and it works very well in 3 days the UTI is gone and the other pill numbs your bladder so that it doesn’t hurt to urinate, it turns your urine orange but only for a few day. They work really quickly.

Antibiotic nitrofurantoin-macroa 100mg (Macrobid) = take 1 tblt
2 x a day for 3 – 5 days Pain reliefphemazopyridine 200 mg (Pyridium) = take 1 tblt 3 x a day as needed for pain = this medicine stops bladder spasms and numbs your urethra so you can urinate without pain. It caused your urine to turn orange temporary.

I think you can get these medications in New Brunswick. Don’t mix your medications and don’t abruptly stop other medications. Make sure you understand what you’re on and what it’s for, how long have you been on it, can you just drop it?

Urinary Tract Infections can be caused from virus and a type of bacteria called Escherichia coli (E.coli) which normally live in the colon. This is from wiping in the wrong direction usually.
Other causes of chronic UTI is CHLAMYDIA and MYCOPLASMA. Have you had a culture done on your urine to see what you have, maybe you’re treating the wrong thing?
 wallbreaker - Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:52 am

1. I work a desk job
2.I go to the bathroom whenever I have the urge, sometimes I will hold it in if I have my break in 10mins of course occassionally.
3. I am currently on my period
4. I can't remember the last time I had sex since this UTI has been with me for over 2 weeks and I haven't had sex since it. Normal Vaginal, unprotected with my husband
5. This isn't the doctor that prescribed those 3 day pills, that was in another city. I went the the emergency room and they took a urine sample and told me there was bacteria in my urine and simply handed me over the prescription, no questions, no answers really as they were busy.
7. The Apo actually kept me tired but awak, if that makes sense, for the first few days. Other than that, nothing really noticeable.

Thanks for the quick response. I only have 6 pills left to take (3 day course at 2 pills per day) and I do not feel better :( During the day I am fine because I am drinking lots of water...but when I wake up and before I go to bed is the burning part. I intend on finishing the pills but I am so angry at the doctor who prescribed them because I told him about the situation 2 years ago and about those miracle 3 day pills and yet he still give me something that isn't working.
 wallbreaker - Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:55 am

Macrobid rings a bell...I think that is the pills they gave me that finally worked.
 Dr. D. Sawh - Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:19 am

Hello wallbreaker,
Thanks for the SWIFT response. Would talk with you tonight as I am extremely busy with my private practice, business as well as with a hospital. Tonight would be the night in which I would give you my treatment plan together with why, how and when to start treatment. OK !
YOURS TRULY,
D. A. SAWH
M.Sc., Pharm.D., M.D., F.R.C.P.(UK)

wallbreaker - Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:57 am

Thanks for the offer Dharam, but I think it actually worked! I thought for certain it didn't since right up until the last pill I still felt the UTI. But I took a Cranberry pill the following day, and ever since then, I haven't felt it! I feel great! So here's to the miracle of Cranberry capsules and drinking lots of H2O! :D
 Dr. D. Sawh - Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:06 pm

Dear wallbreaker,
I'm so glad that you are feeling better. The main reason why I did not reply sooner was to see whether the Apo- sulfatrim tablets would work or not. I did have a strong feeling that the medication would work but it would take some time because it is not a miracle cure--- the entire dose must be completed before we could proceed further. I was fully aware of this particular medication because I am also a registered pharmaceutical importer with the company in Canada that manufactures your medication, viz., APOTEX PHARMACEUTICALS WHICH MAKES EXCELLENT GENERIC DRUGS FOR GUYANA AS WELL.
However, I would strongly advise you to abstain from sex for at least 5-7 days---
this is to avoid any dormant germs from raising their ugly heads, thereby, preventing the spread to your husband and so preventing the vicious cycle from occurring again.

I WOULD LIKE TO SINCERELY HOPE & PRAY THAT YOU WOULD NOT HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN IN THE NOT TOO DISTANT FUTURE. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF IN THE PROPER WAY AND REMEMBER IF THERE'S ANYTHING THAT I COULD HELP TO RENDER ASSISTANCE TO YOU , DON'T HESTATE TO CONTACT ME ON THIS SAME FORUM. GOODBYE FOR NOW AND BEST OF LUCK TO YOU !

[b]YOURS TRULY,
D. A. SAWH[color=green][b] [/b][/color]M.Sc., Pharm.D., M.D., F.R.C.P.(UK)[/b]
 wallbreaker - Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:49 am

Well, thanks again! Good Luck to you!
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:24 pm

If you are still symptomatic, or experience further urinary tract infections in the future, my response to "Frequent urinary tract infections after sex" posted on April 10-14, in the General Medical Discussion forum may be helpful.

A history of more than 3 urinary tract infections per year warrants investigations to establish if you have complicated or uncomplicated UTI.

I however hope you are now cured.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 wallbreaker - Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:07 am

Thanks, I'll check it out!
 Birdie - Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:47 pm

I am 33 and pregnant with baby #4. I have had a UTI for over a month, my Dr has had me on 3 different meds, this last one is Macrobid and I still have it (been taking this med almost 2 weeks) I am worried that the UTI's are dangerous to the baby (BTW, I'm 16 weeks along) I had my OB visit on Friday and he told me he will keep me on antibiotics the whole pregnancy. Should I be worried?

Also, I am a diabetic and on insulin, could that be related to all of my UTI's.
 komal6069 - Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:34 am

hi, i missed my periods this month, i did intercourse in january n did get my periods in january n feb bt didnt get in march but having pain n crpaming in stomach n all the symptoms which come beore my periods please tell me wht to do m very worried Thanks
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:17 am

User avatar Hi wallbreaker,

Dr. D. Sawh has already communicated to you lots of very important advice regarding UTI's.
I thought of adding some info which may be useful to you to uderstand UTI's better.

- You say 'i know i have UTI'... the only way to confirm that you have UTI and to know which microorganism is causing it is by a urine culture.
- Urinary symptoms suggestive of UTI don't always mean one has a UTI.
- Cranberry juice mainly prevents adhesion of certain microbes to the inner lining of the urinary tract (urothelium) - notably E.Coli.
- It 'prevents' to an extent UTI developing,but does not 'Treat' it.

Therefore, if one has already developed an established UTI, no amount of cranberry juice is going to help.The bacteria firmly attached to the urothelium will presumably watch the cranberry juice harmlessly pass by!!