Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: sexual intercourse causing a cystitis "like" symptom after

dream-catcher - Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:18 pm

I was wondering if you would be able to help me. I'm a sufferer of what seems to be a cystitis "like" symptom. I'll explain to you what I mean, I got with my partner just over 2 years ago and after we have sex I get this symptom of needed to go to the toilet but most of the time there's very little urine if any. sometimes it burns like cystitis but often its just the urgency of needing the toilet. The first time I got it there was an infection so got antibiotics which I thought cleared it up until I had sex with my partner again, so I got given more antibiotics which as I thought again cleared it up but it hadn't I told the doctor the tablets aren't working, so I had more urine tests, blood samples, cervical screening, sti checks, urethra swob all came back clear. The doctors just told me to keep taking those cystitis relief sachets (which taste disgusting) because there is no problem as they can see and do the usual list of drink plenty water, no perfumed products for washing, going to toilet before and after sex, i have tried them all practically. I don't know what to do. I don't want to be having to take those sachets for the rest of my life as I am only 21. are there any other tests i could have done? my friend suggested that maybe my boyfriends and mine ph levels are causing this reaction?? is that possible? i was in a 3 year relationship before this one and i had no problems like this what so ever. also my boyfriend has been checked for sti's and came back clear. please help.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat May 01, 2010 9:45 am

User avatar Hello,Apart from the commoner honeymoon cystitis , the other condition which can cause similar but with out active infection is interstitial cystitis.It is also known as painful bladder syndrome.
Urgency,frequency,and pain are common presenting symptoms.Investigations generally do nort reveal any findings.
A pelvic examination,test to rule out UTI,and cystoscopy are the performed tests.
You can get more information about this from interstitial cystitis network.
The cause of IC remains a mystery.Before coming to a diagnosis other conditions like the common UTI,trigonitis,urethritis due to chlamydia need to be ruled out.
50% of patients would get spontaneous remissions in IC.
So do get an urological evaluation to get a diagnosis.